Bicycle Advice

Currently reading:
Bicycle Advice

Badger_Benji said:
Classic bike, they even made a ti eddy it was an awesome frame but just so expensive.

Now heres another blast from the past for you

Mountain Goat - Whiskey Town Racer
Trimble
Salsa

And my favourite

Yeti ARC - pre trek buyout as well, i am still looking for one of these on canti's and thumbshifters for that ultimate retro ride, complete with answer atac stem and accutrax forks.

damn right, bloke on my street had a fat chance with ringle hubs and stem, pauls components rear mech, cook bros crankset and a set of mega expensive machined alu canti's ( i cant remember the name...) that was a gorgeous bike, sooo expensive.

how about the Klein Adroit and Attitude pre-trek, also De-Kerf...

EDIT: i think it had either Grafton speed controllers or gravity research pipe dreams..

Last edited:
Oh yes pre-trek kleins, especially the original rigid ones, they were awesome, very light, and the paint finishes were out of this world. The de-kerf never really floated my boat, it was a good bike, but the back end was so fussy, we have so many good frame builders in this country, dave yates, dave lloyd and chas roberts.

The canti's were probably graftons going by the spec of the bike, I have some cook bros e-cranks on my cannondale, love them, complete with a royce bottom bracket and a chris king headset.

The original ringle bubba hubs had a design fault, the spoke holes were too close to the edge of the flange, and they machined a groove all the way round in the spoke flange, had one of their hubs fail, by the flange breaking off, we also had several returned to the shop with the same failure, later models this was removed.

Badger_Benji said:
, we have so many good frame builders in this country, dave yates, dave lloyd and chas roberts.

got to agree with you there, the dogs bolx was a lovely bike. although the frame building industry in this country seems to be suffering due to the influx of cheap eastern frames, especially with the current trend for dirt jump and street bikes which every 12 year old seems to want now:bang:

bring back mountain bike international and the good old days of Jason McRoy and Ned Overend(y)

EDIT: sorry, way off topic now

Hybrid is definitely the way to go if your wanting to ride it on road and some off road stuff (canal tow-paths etc)

You will find that with most hybrids they will look like shopping bikes! The nice thing about the Claud Butler you showed us is that it has a less up-right riding position. However this may not suit you if you just want to cruise along the road to work and what-not.

It depends on what sort of riding you are going to be doing most as there are lots of variations within the hybrid style bikes. If it is just cruising to work and back and along the canal path etc then I would go for something like the Marin Larkspur. If you plan on doing more off-road than on-road then I would urge you to buy something with conventional 26" wheels rather than a 700c road wheel.

Like others have said, it may be benfitial to you to buy a mountain bike and deck it out with semi-slick tyres and a more upright stem. This would provide you with a bike you can ride on-road and also take off road without worrying about the durability of it, which is something I often find with hybrids!

Hope that helps a bit.

Nothing wrong with Giants ;)

I think Custard gave the best advice- Merlin cycles. You'll get the best for the money if you buy from there, thats if they deliver whole bikes! Im guessing they do. Tell them your budget and they'll build you a bike.

Steve...

You could try The Bike Dock at the bottom of the Ravenhill Road. They do GT bikes which are quite good... (Or at least they did the last time I was in there :))

Stuart DemonD said:
1952%20Schwinn%20Paramount%20Olympic%20tandem.jpg

Stick the mrs on the front, easy life ;)

Steve that would be perfik for you :D but you will need two things to qualify for ownership of said machine [1] A big bum for the saddle and [2] A friend named Marina :D (y)

Back