Technical Best oil choice for tuned 700cc engine please!

Currently reading:
Technical Best oil choice for tuned 700cc engine please!

Evening everyone. I've recently imported a 1968 Fait 500 Abarth replica from Italy and want to give it an oil change.
I'm unsure as to which oil and grade would be best to use. It's a Fait 126 650 engine tuned to 700cc with 4.5l sump and oil cooler fitted.
Any recommendations for brand and viscosity appreciated. Thank you in advance

Attachments

• tempImagekHFY7x.png
    tempImagekHFY7x.png
    12.7 MB · Views: 88
Evening everyone. I've recently imported a 1968 Fait 500 Abarth replica from Italy and want to give it an oil change.
I'm unsure as to which oil and grade would be best to use. It's a Fait 126 650 engine tuned to 700cc with 4.5l sump and oil cooler fitted.
Not knowing exactly where you are (but looking carefully at your photo I would think the UK) it is difficult to recommend a specific oil because differing countries have different oils. I have a (well!) tuned 659cc Fiat '126'engine in the rear of my '695 replica' and use the high performance 10/50 oil from "Millers Oils" A good source of oil, at very competitive prices are 'Opie Oils'. Being that it is rare for ALL the oil to drain out, you might just geta way with a 4-litre can. They deliver almost by return---very good service.

Not knowing exactly where you are (but looking carefully at your photo I would think the UK) it is difficult to recommend a specific oil because differing countries have different oils. I have a (well!) tuned 659cc Fiat '126'engine in the rear of my '695 replica' and use the high performance 10/50 oil from "Millers Oils" A good source of oil, at very competitive prices are 'Opie Oils'. Being that it is rare for ALL the oil to drain out, you might just geta way with a 4-litre can. They deliver almost by return---very good service.
Hi Hobbler,
Sounds like a similar set-up to mine and yes, I am in the UK. I am going to go off your recommendation. Is it the Millers EE Performance oil that you use, or the Nanodrive? Thanks

Hi Hobbler,
Sounds like a similar set-up to mine and yes, I am in the UK. I am going to go off your recommendation. Is it the Millers EE Performance oil that you use, or the Nanodrive? Thanks
I am using the "Nanodrive". The 'EE' (aka CRS) is really only required for racing or track-days--and at £84 for 5 gallons---gulp!

Perfect, thank you! I've just ordered 5 litres of Nanodrive from Halfords online for £45(y)
A tip----learned the hard way! Most of the 'pattern' alloy rocker-covers are VERY slow fillers (due to poor design inside the cover). A quicker, and less messy way, to put a large quantity of oil into the engine is through the dip-stick hole. I have a long piece of the largest tubing that will go into the dip-stick hole attached to a funnel and remove the filler cap (to let the engine breath). Being that the rocker-cover is close to the rear parcel-shelf it is sometimes difficult to fully tip an oil-can/tin into the rocker-cover. Having a funnel on the end of a piece of tubing allows one to have the funnel at a convenient hieght

A tip----learned the hard way! Most of the 'pattern' alloy rocker-covers are VERY slow fillers (due to poor design inside the cover). A quicker, and less messy way, to put a large quantity of oil into the engine is through the dip-stick hole. I have a long piece of the largest tubing that will go into the dip-stick hole attached to a funnel and remove the filler cap (to let the engine breath). Being that the rocker-cover is close to the rear parcel-shelf it is sometimes difficult to fully tip an oil-can/tin into the rocker-cover. Having a funnel on the end of a piece of tubing allows one to have the funnel at a convenient hieght
Perhaps a bit of porting on the alloy rocker cover might be in order 😂
Mobil 1 10/60 for me 👍

Back