General Before I start...

Currently reading:
General Before I start...

heh thats what i call awesome. all you need is the head gasket and valve stems.

though i would be tempted to use the head off the 30k engine.. bet the valves are better in that..

what miles has this engine done(engine from your other mk1 panda)? think you said the one that was seized had done 30k miles?

Hmmm, see John just posted a link to this on another thread. Will that engine marry up with the existing box pandamonius_maximus. Same bottom end as the Y10 turbo engine you've used isn't it? If so it would make an easier transplant than a Fire.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hmmm, see John just posted a link to this on another thread. Will that engine marry up with the existing box pandamonius_maximus. Same bottom end as the Y10 turbo engine you've used isn't it? If so it would make an easier transplant than a Fire.

I'm actually curious about the bell housing as well. I've not tried if the y10 1049cc block fits against the 965cc ohv gearbox bolt pattern...

However if looking for an engine which is easier to get bits for I would not recommend this. It is a very difficult engine to get parts for and took a lot of hunting around to even find 1 place which sold a head gasket kit! It's also quite heavy compared to the 965cc so modified suspension would probably be a needed. And the drivers side engine mount needs to be fabricated as it mounts in a completely different place.

Adaptor plates can be used to allow a fire engine to fit a mk1 gearbox (as has been discussed on the forum before). I think this is the best option really,
You could use a full mk2 4x4 engine and gearbox. But the passenger side gearbox mount will be different as Alik and I have found with the Terra and Marbella. and also maybe the drivers side engine mount will be different?

Just my thoughts!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yen, both the mounts are different, would be interested in seeing the adapter plate?
Its still sat in the unit at the moment I haven't had time to even look at it of late

I can't seem to find the adaptor plate post...I think it was Bartpanda who posted up some pictures of it. Maybe it needs to be a sticky haha, this question comes up a lot! :eek:

Could be easier just to swap bell housing instead of fabricating an adapter plate.
The bolt spacing for the box casing to bell housing is the same mk1 to mk2. There are issues around the reverse gear idler but it's apart at that point anyway...☺

Back