Technical Battery

Currently reading:
Technical Battery

cmm.sedici

Had a strange one the other day. Around half an hour after a 2 hour drive I went to start the car up again and it was absolutely flat. Tried jump starting it but didn't work.

Bought a new battery, swapped it in and car fired up straight away. Going to keep an eye on it and hope that the alternator isn't a problem or there's a drain on the system.

Anyone know of any crude techniques of testing for drains or alternator problems?

Suppose the main test will be just continuing to use it.

Put a bosch S5 in so should be pretty beefy ready for the winter.

cmm - My experiences with car batteries is that usually they go all of a sudden without warning. If it was the OE one it was probably ready for renewal anyway

Looks like that was the case. New one in and all working fine. Also a squeak has stopped when I normally start the car.

Hi,
glad it's working o.k.,

chances are the squeak was the alternator working so hard the belt was slipping,

to test the basics of your alternator;

1, measure battery voltage with everything off = should be 12.2 + volts

2, start engine - measure batt. voltage now( with engine running) = 14.4 Volts

if your'e not getting a min. of 14.0 Volts suspect a charging issue,

Charlie

thanks for the advice charlie and nello. Car seems to be running fine now (famous last wprds). Alternator seems to be doing its job.

Sounds to me the problem is with the alternator; and once your new battery is drained, the problem will return. Good luck.

thanks for the optimism johnty! One week later and all working fine. Bullet successfully dodged, hopefully!

Back