Technical Back Up Light Stay On

Currently reading:
Technical Back Up Light Stay On

sjmst2

Hello

I am working on resolving the backup lights that stay on in my, 1981 Spider, manual., USA.
Is there any switch or any connection in the console? I changed the transmission switch twice, but the lights still stay on. Anything in the console beneath the shifter?
Thanks
Sam

Iirc, the back-up light switch on the transmission has 2 wires going to it, a blue with white wire which is the live feed from the fuse box and a white wire which is the live feed to the back-up light/s.
With both wires disconnected from the switch, do the lights go off? If the lights remain on with the wires disconnected, I'd suspect a short between the 2 wires at some point.
Have you tested the switch when removed from the trans.? Iirc, there should only be continuity across the 2 terminals when the switch plunger is pressed in. I seem to recall there were different plunger lengths/protrusions on these switches, are you sure you have the correct one for your car?

I don't recall there being anything in the console beneath the shifter other than the 2 wires (mentioned above) being routed under the centre console before going through a hole with a rubber grommet to reach the switch on the transmission - I'd check the wires where they pass through this grommet.

Hth

Iirc, the back-up light switch on the transmission has 2 wires going to it, a blue with white wire which is the live feed from the fuse box and a white wire which is the live feed to the back-up light/s.
With both wires disconnected from the switch, do the lights go off? If the lights remain on with the wires disconnected, I'd suspect a short between the 2 wires at some point.
Have you tested the switch when removed from the trans.? Iirc, there should only be continuity across the 2 terminals when the switch plunger is pressed in. I seem to recall there were different plunger lengths/protrusions on these switches, are you sure you have the correct one for your car?

I don't recall there being anything in the console beneath the shifter other than the 2 wires (mentioned above) being routed under the centre console before going through a hole with a rubber grommet to reach the switch on the transmission - I'd check the wires where they pass through this grommet.

Hth
Thank you for you reply. We have tested the switch. I think it may be the plunger length.
I will check again

Back