Technical back door locks

Currently reading:
Technical back door locks

cyclesilly

Morning my 03 cargo has developed a fault with the rear lock mech. It will lock on the fob or key but if you pull the handle more than 3 times it unlocks and opens, I gave made sure that nothing is interfering with the rods and cant find anything help?

If you get the mechanism out of the door you will see there is a sprung component that engages and disengages the mechanism from the door handle. They can get seized up and don't disengage fully. Give it a blast with some brake cleaner and work it free then a bit of gt85 or similar to lube it.
Last one I did was really stuck and had to strip and clean it to get it moving that's not normally necessary though.

Morning my 03 cargo has developed a fault with the rear lock mech. It will lock on the fob or key but if you pull the handle more than 3 times it unlocks and opens, I gave made sure that nothing is interfering with the rods and cant find anything help?

hi, and welcome, :)

lubing the moving parts does sound like a logical start,
do let us know how it goes.., ;)
it would be great if you could add a few pics of what you found..got access to ,
thanks,
Charlie - Oxford

There are a LOT of threads regarding rear door locks search is your friend

I did search but nothing matched this problem. I have found that the central locking actuator appears to be relaxing and the handle latch is then gradually moving back to release the mechanism. It only appears to happen if the exterior handle is pulled 3+ times. May have to get a new central locking actuator, will disable the opening mechanism for now.

Remove door lock mechanism, Clean all moving parts make sure all bits are free to move there is a small shaft with a very light spring that jams up, use 3 in one oil not a heavy oil to lube it make sure you get the clips to lock mechanisms back in the correct place.
We have had 3 of there vans & ALL have had rear lock problems (n) never had anything new there but all have seized up gone sticky.
Fiat don't seem to learn that reoccurring problems are one of the things that put people off a product, so simple to sort out at manufacture but a pain in the but for owners

I note a fair few say how do you remove interior handle
images
This is the clip that holds the rear interior door handle on, to remove you either try and push from the open end or the simpler way is to make a hook to catch the top of hoop.
Push the trim panel towards the door & look between trim & handle you will see the clip hook it with the one you made earlier & pull (then find clip :eek: ) a rag will stop it pinginging out never to be seen again.
Re fit clip on handle & a good bump will re install handle.

Back