Technical Attaching a heat shield to a 2007 Fiat Doblo

Currently reading:
Technical Attaching a heat shield to a 2007 Fiat Doblo

Poblo

Hi Everyone,

The heat shield underneath my 2007 Doblo fell off the other day. I managed to retrieve it, but it was pretty badly crumpled. Can anyone tell me the best place to get another and how easy are they to fix on without being able to lift the car off the ground?

Thanks for any help and pointers.

Pad

Hi Everyone,

The heat shield underneath my 2007 Doblo fell off the other day. I managed to retrieve it, but it was pretty badly crumpled. Can anyone tell me the best place to get another and how easy are they to fix on without being able to lift the car off the ground?

Thanks for any help and pointers.

Pad

Front.. Engine catalyst

Or back, the Rear silencer?

A bit of a pain in general but new is easier than repairing. My Bravi rear shield started to come looe but I mended it with 4 thicknesses of heavy grade aluminium baking tray which I used to replace the missing bits and enlarged holes. On a Doblo with more ground clearance and the use of some blocks or a goo kerb it should be possible. You may need new fixing washer clips.

Hi, it's the rear silencer I think?

Hi 🙂

My 169 panda did that

From memory it was held in with pop. Rivers

They wore away and it dropped down 😕

I secured it when replacing the silencer

A bit of a pain in general but new is easier than repairing. My Bravi rear shield started to come looe but I mended it with 4 thicknesses of heavy grade aluminium baking tray which I used to replace the missing bits and enlarged holes. On a Doblo with more ground clearance and the use of some blocks or a goo kerb it should be possible. You may need new fixing washer clips.
Many thanks. Useful to know. I’m struggling to find a new part. Not sure I can fashion something from a baking tray but I like the solution. I will investigate further.

Hi 🙂

My 169 panda did that

From memory it was held in with pop. Rivers

They wore away and it dropped down 😕

I secured it when replacing the silencer

Hi, I have seen YouTube videos using pop rivets. I need to get under the car to have a proper look. Do you know where to buy other heat shields? Thanks by the way

Many thanks. Useful to know. I’m struggling to find a new part. Not sure I can fashion something from a baking tray but I like the solution. I will investigate further.
I basically used a large sized turkey tin and made a sheet 4 layers thick. Folded the sides in with pliers so it held together. You need to make decent sized patches or the rivets just pull out. Overlap at least 40mm. Keep the rivets about 10mm apart. Using pop rivets and the washers designed for these it made a secure fix. The shield was basically held on with either 10mm nuts or sprung washers. Cant remember which as I ve done quite a few over the year, think it waqs nuts. I had at least 30K out of the repair until I sold the car when it got to 106K. The heat shields are eye wateringly expensive so its worth a little time and a load of patience. You need to make sure the fixing holes are set so you have to compress oor stretch the shield aa little to get the holes to align. i.e put a bit of bend into it as it slips on the mounting lugs Doing this means you can put it on and then fix it, it stays where it was put, and the tension should ensure no rattles.

Just to make it plain this is the distillation of several goes at repairing the heat shield. I tried other things and also using just a double layer of foil. Basically the stronger the better.

I basically used a large sized turkey tin and made a sheet 4 layers thick. Folded the sides in with pliers so it held together. You need to make decent sized patches or the rivets just pull out. Overlap at least 40mm. Keep the rivets about 10mm apart. Using pop rivets and the washers designed for these it made a secure fix. The shield was basically held on with either 10mm nuts or sprung washers. Cant remember which as I ve done quite a few over the year, think it waqs nuts. I had at least 30K out of the repair until I sold the car when it got to 106K. The heat shields are eye wateringly expensive so its worth a little time and a load of patience. You need to make sure the fixing holes are set so you have to compress oor stretch the shield aa little to get the holes to align. i.e put a bit of bend into it as it slips on the mounting lugs Doing this means you can put it on and then fix it, it stays where it was put, and the tension should ensure no rattles.

Just to make it plain this is the distillation of several goes at repairing the heat shield. I tried other things and also using just a double layer of foil. Basically the stronger the better.
That sounds like a well executed DIY hack for a heat shield. I need to get under the car so that I can see what I’m dealing with and to get a good mental picture of what’s required. Many thanks for the information. Very useful

Back