Technical Arrgh! ABS light is on

Currently reading:
Technical Arrgh! ABS light is on

doolahrock

Hi Folks

My ABS light had been coming on and off but it's on all the time now. The brakes feel totally fine and it's not the sensor as my mechanic noticed the light on and checked that.

Any idea what kind of horror I could be in for?

Cheers

Jon

If the light is on (like with airbags) then you won't have ABS and if you're used to driving with it and braking 'pedal to metal' then you be in for a nasty surprise in an emergency!

ABS is a fairly simple system. Fixed sensors on each wheel with a rotating magnet that generates a 'wave form' which is read by the computer. Any difference in the waveform on one wheel indicates wheel slip which is then controlled by the system opening or shutting hydraulic valves in the brake circuit. Forgive my gross over-simplification!

If anyof the sensors fail then the warning light will come on as the computer can't read one of the wheels. I'd guess by your description that one of them first became intermittant and then failed. This could be simply due to a coating of brake pad dust and road gunk..ECU readout ought to give you fault code and tell you which one can't be read?

http://autorepair.about.com/od/regularmaintenance/ss/abs_sens_cln.htm

Last edited:
Thanks guys

MOT is due on Wednesday so it'll be sorted on way or another next week I suppose. Been a bad run of stuff in the last month.

Cheers

Jon

Hi Steve

I was out and about today with the roof down and looks as though I have a buyer which was the point of the trip. As of 6pm the B could well be gone.

Stuck some fuel in the tank and took the wee fellow for one last spin as the weather was so good.

Ditto the other messages. Enjoy the Abarth 500.

You have left a great barchetta legacy with your amazing barchetta scotland film.

Was great to meet at that event - maybe bump into you in the future at another event.

All the best,

colin

Seems like selling a B is easy... I went out to 3 garages tonight and got quotes for new tyres....

Came back with 3 quotes for tyres and 1 person asking how much I want for her....?? :eek: !!!

Best get it checked, you might be able to get the code read from the abs ecu reasonably cheaply. I've got kit which will read a mk1, but I'm a bit away from you in Teesside.
Great I have not found anyone, even Fiat that have the software?

Back