Tuning Are there any simple performance mods for the 500?

Currently reading:
Tuning Are there any simple performance mods for the 500?

Its incredible!!!!!

When I first started this thread - I could never have imagined the real depth of technical knowlege and sound advice that would come flooding from all corners of our sceptred isle!!!

Because lets face it... if I had wanted tips on what styling I should or shouldn't have - does the 500's arse look too big in this, is that the right colour of rouge for my Carlos Fandgo Wheels blah blah blah...

I would have called Gok Wan!!

well 500 is gay car of the year :D

Its incredible!!!!!

When I first started this thread - I could never have imagined the real depth of technical knowlege and sound advice that would come flooding from all corners of our sceptred isle!!!

Because lets face it... if I had wanted tips on what styling I should or shouldn't have - does the 500's arse look too big in this, is that the right colour of rouge for my Carlos Fandgo Wheels blah blah blah...

I would have called Gok Wan!!
There weren't any simple ways to increase performance so the discussion went to other things.

There weren't any simple ways to increase performance so the discussion went to other things.
There is always a simple & cheap way to increase accelleration, handling and braking,

Strip everything out... and I mean EVERYTHING.

But its not the answer most people want to hear :D

changing the oil for Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge might give you a couple of KW's.

Erm not sure that is 100% accurate??

I think the thread took another direction because of your inability to understand that people may want to express themselves differently through personal choice and style!

Not a problem though - after all its a public forum, so you are entitled to your views (albeit it slightly narrow minded)!!

But hey - we're all friends here so no harm done.

intake and exhaust mods (cone filter and performance exhaust) will free up the breathing and you could get a 10% improvement easily

standard kit is restrictive for noise regs hence why there is power to be released(y)

the 1242 FIRE has been messed about with in Cinqs for years and is a great engine and responds well to such mods

Go check out K&N website they have an intake fot the 500 and the panda, very easy to use, and it does make a difference!! And yes I have one!

Last edited:
if enhanced sound effect is your cup of tea, get intake or exhaust. But they won't make your car any faster. In fact, the car might even become slower for day-to-day driving.

for REAL performance gain, you can either make your car significantly lighter, or get forced induction.

there are a lot of scams going around for all these performance increase bullsh!t. don't buy any of it.

I came to the 500 section to see if anyone had done any work on improving the performance of these rather nice little cars.

I found a level of backbiting and animosity I've yet to encounter on any forum. And nothing interesting on tuning.

Will an intake system and exhaust help? If properly developed, of course it will. Will a remap help, sure, if done by someone who knows what they're doing and especially in conjunction with other worthwhile mods. ill these decrease the resale value of the car? I seriously doubt it, especially if the exhaust is stainless.

In the meantime, can someone (without injury) please rear end an Abarth SS and sell the engine and box to me for £300 so I can put it in a Cinq?

Back home now..............

ive just spoke to someone from nuova 500, and there sending someone to my house november for a remap and air filter :)

Will an intake system and exhaust help?

Doesn't matter who develops it, it entirely depends whether the stock components offer any real restriction in the first place.

Saxo VTR standard exhaust was good for 160bhp, even though the car produced 90bhp. So no point at all changing it in that case. On the other hand the Mk.I inlet manifold was horrid, the later plastic manifold providing pretty much 10bhp straight on its own.

Being that the performance and handling of the 500s (arbath aside) are pretty average at best, I'm not sure there's that much effort been put into to "maxing" them yet. Probably best to just buy an A500 TBH, they're not very much more and will obviously have much better resale than a maxed up non-arbath.

Doesn't matter who develops it, it entirely depends whether the stock components offer any real restriction in the first place.

Saxo VTR standard exhaust was good for 160bhp, even though the car produced 90bhp. So no point at all changing it in that case. On the other hand the Mk.I inlet manifold was horrid, the later plastic manifold providing pretty much 10bhp straight on its own.

Being that the performance and handling of the 500s (arbath aside) are pretty average at best, I'm not sure there's that much effort been put into to "maxing" them yet. Probably best to just buy an A500 TBH, they're not very much more and will obviously have much better resale than a maxed up non-arbath.

I think you're missing the point. With that extra money for the Abarth you could spend a few grand making your car horribly ugly with new wheels, new bodykit and some naff graphics.

Last edited:
panel filter, good synthetic oil and 99RON petrol.
take any junk out of the car along with the the spare tyre and get a tyre sealant aersol instead..

panel filter, good synthetic oil and 99RON petrol.
take any junk out of the car along with the the spare tyre and get a tyre sealant aersol instead..
You want weight in the rear of a 500. Taking the spare tyre out will be detremental to the handling and will only ruin the tyre. Keep the spare tyre....

It's 13 kilos or so that you can live without.

When you start taking out rear seats and interior trim then you can start to worry about handling and sprung weight.

Back