General Are chiquecentos any good

Currently reading:
General Are chiquecentos any good

brett

I am looking into getting a chiquecento sporting for my first car but i have been told that they are rubbish and unreliable, is there any truth in this or is this just a generalisation i.e. italian cars are s**t or french cars always go wrong etc

I am looking into getting a chiquecento sporting for my first car but i have been told that they are rubbish and unreliable, is there any truth in this or is this just a generalisation i.e. italian cars are s**t or french cars always go wrong etc

Given where you asked, what answer do you think you might expect?

hi mate all cars are the same u pay for what u get. i have had a cinq sport for a year and half now it sat on the drive for a year. all i had to do was a quick service and new breakes. my dad no uses my cinq for work its been going fine no probs hope this helps cheers colin.

u will get an ever so slightly bias opinion here mate tbh but i spent 650 on mine ran it half way down england with ALMOST no oil in and i have recently replaced my right foot with a high density breezeblock:devil: ... they handle like theyre on rails and they are so much fun and from what i have experienced so far theyre REALLY easy to work on aswell

good luck with findin one you like

Stain

Reliability; it's about treatment, look after them they'll love you for it and let you get away with blue murder on the odd occasion you neglect it. They're piece of pi** to work on as long as you have decent quality tools. They handle well stock and after a few mods handle even better finally they're stupidly quick for the amount of power they have.

the truth in the matter is ,if you buy a ten year old car or whatever,you will experience problems some point down the line,

I bought a cinq 899 sx,and it was immaculate when I bought it,(until my mate crashed it through a fence)

anyway,because I live near the sea etc ,the salt got to the brakes in the time it was parked up for around a year,so I had to replace most of the brakes,apart from that though its a good car,#

the main things that go wrong with them are ,clutch cable,handbrake cable,apart from that there good cars,if you look after them they look after you,as many will back me up on this.

thanks for the replys lads, i knew i would get slightly biased awnsers but i was wondering what sort of this break on them and how much the are to repair etc

I never even considered one, until i saw the insurance quote and thought oh well I'll have a look, had a test drive and that was it, she was knackered but i still bought her, i was hooked. Can say that although sometimes i get fed up of breaking bits and look at other cars, i always come back to keeping her :). Have had some of the best times, worst times and randoms times with my cinq, have grinned like a nutter driving her, have stood by her at a roadside looking glum, have had some scary moments, have learnt some new things.

Summed up, I don't think you can have a better first car IMO, They handle like carts, are easy to work on and have lots of character. Before I bought mine the level of my mechanical skills was fixing bmxs, now I can sort a lot more things out as I have done pretty much everything myself.

So get a cinquecento, enjoy driving it, learn how to fix it, and generaly be a better person for it :p

If either cento worked magnificantly this forum would be a boring place as we would have nothing to talk about

After years fo Ford ownership, and the last 4 years racing fords, I found myself in the market for a small car, I considered a Ka but I didnt want to spend much, I had always liked the look of a yellow sporting cinq, so I decided to go for it and buy one - not knowing mucht at all about them, or fiats in general. Got one in december, 49,000 miler, it spent some time parked up while I got some jobs done, now its being used daily and its good fun, I am 35 and a years TPF&T was just £130, bargain motoring!! have a look at my site below for some good details of my ownership to date.

Most important, use this forum, everyone is very helpful, its been a massive help to me both before and after I bought my car, and sure that it will continue to be for a while to come, its like having an online haynes manual, but more so. its all part of the fun of small fiat ownership :)

have fun

I had a few random cars before i got to cento's, nova, micra, couple of beetles, quite a few cars that would be considered good first cars.

The cento is my fave car yet, and yes a few things have broken but no more than any other car. Its really easy to work on and its good to get an understanding of how things work when you fix them. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to run, buy one!

I've most cars you can think of and have had four Cinq's and one Sei, for the money their the best small car you can buy. Just remember most Cinq's are over ten years old, so either buy the best you can or be good with a spanner!

Cheers

A Cinq would be a great choice as your first car (and anytime after that obviously!).
Mechanically they are simple and easy to work on, chances are you will at some point need to replace clutch cable, handbrake cable, brake linkages etc. but all parts are available at low cost and are good jobs to gain experience on. Don't discount the 899cc versions either, it is a great little engine which dates back over 30years but they are reliable and they go well enough too.

Mechanically they are simple and easy to work on

Agree. When I opened my bonnet for the first time I thought 'how the hell am i going to get in there to fix that!!', and my first big job was the water pump, looking at that end of the engine it looks impossible, as there is what appears to be a complete lack of any working space, the fact is - it was mysteriously easy!!!

Back