Antifreeze/coolant Smell

Currently reading:
Antifreeze/coolant Smell

I

Insomnia

If a coolant/antifreeze smell is present in the cabin of the car (Bravo), what would that indicate?

Ta!

in18.jpg

Current Mileage: 121,500 miles

last time i had that smell the heater matrix was leaking

No, none on hands. Just the smell is sometimes apparent in the cabin.

The car has always had (ever since I've owned it) had a liking to drinking antifreeze but I've never noticed the smell. When the car last got serviced (this month) my mechanic said he thought he could smell it.

It's not over powering, in fact I still can't smell it at all :)

in18.jpg

may well be a little leak where it comes through the bulkhead and its coming from engine side and coming through vents,i had terrible time trying to see out windows when mine went but it was pretty bad,watch temp guage and hot air blowing,ps and also for a wet carpet..lol

Thats very similar to what my mechanic said.

Thing is the car doesn't steam up and the temperature is perfectly normal - rises when expected (stuck in traffic on sunny day), fan kicks in, etc.

Carpet is bone dry.

in18.jpg

get some radiator stop leak, like radweld or summat. stick it in. cant do any harm.

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4, and owner of a Bravo 1.8

Member Page

yeah mine was like that... i just thought nothing was wrong then...3 months later floor was about 5 inches thick with water. heater matrix went. £500 worth of damage including labour :( dont ignore it mate.
ade

if u start ur car from cold,watch the temp go up,at the point where the thermostat opens (usually just before halfway on mine)is when hot water rushes round the engine this is when u might get a clue as sometime u see some steam where the leak is,this will go away quickly as parts expand and seals it again,hence why it aint a big loss in water(yet)