Technical Anti Roll bar bushes

Currently reading:
Technical Anti Roll bar bushes

snes

I'm currently exploring a strange vague knocking sound from my 2009 1.3mj. I've had a feel around the front suspension and didn't find anything amiss. I did find a shot bush on a rear shock and have just replaced same, but suspect there will still be knocks when I road test tomorrow.

My thoughts are drifting towards the ARB bushes as they can be prone to early wear. They should be cheap to fix but my Haynes tells me that Fiat will only sell a complete ARB, not the bushes separately. And removing the whole bar looks like a royal pain.... let alone the expense.

Now I know you can now get bushes separately, especially the pretty "polyurethane" type, but can find no evidence on this forum of anyone ever having done a swap.

The bushes are easy to access from the side, but I understand the clamp halves have been spot welded. Not sure how easy the two halves would be to separate on the car, which would be my preferred approach. If the halves could be separated, then a bush swap appears straightforward.

Now I may discover my noise has disappeared when I test tomorrow (I wish) but curiosity would still drive me to find out more re the above.

Has anyone rummaged in this area? I would imagine that Jason would have done some modding in this area to firm up his handling.

I've attached a pic of the bush and its location. I assume the bush has a side slit to aid fitting to the bar.

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice etc!

Attachments

• PICT0025.JPG
    PICT0025.JPG
    955 KB · Views: 132
The web site for these bushes only show the bush as being offered. If a clamp were offered, that would leave me free to remove the old clamp regardless of damage.

In my dreams.....

Nice thought though, Zanes.

far more likely to be droplinks, strut top mounts or suspension arms. I VERY much doubt it's the bushes.

Looking at the photo it looks a little perished, but I don't think that's your knock. Likely suspects first and the three components I posted are the more likely culprits.

You have a good track record in these matters, Maxi, and I suspect you are right.

What bugs me is I can't actually detect any wear when I give these items a tug or a twist.

Is there an "in between" state, where a component is beginning to exhibit wear (and thus starting to creak or knock) while still being within MOT standards?

I know previous posters on this theme have actually had their cars on the ramp at the dealer, only to be told nothing is untoward.

Anyway, thanks to all for their help - and even if it isn't an ARB issue, if some one could share their knowledge on this area, it would be useful anyone with issues in this area.

Back