Technical Another tapping engine thread

Currently reading:
Technical Another tapping engine thread

Raducu

Hello guys.

I have an 1.2 8v with a tapping engine sound since june.

- not tapping on idle,
- tapping only at 1600-2200 RPM,
- can hear it only if windows are down and passing near cars or walls,
- not happening all the time (last night not a single tapp even when going uphill),
- I have half the oil on the stick (dunno the stick name) (Mobil1 10w40),
- oil was changed in march and i have done 3000 km since.

what do you think?

Stone or other hard foreign body stuck in a tyre? Sounds silly but its happened to me many a time!

I have checked, but not, it's definitely from the engine, if I dont press the gas pedal it's gone. It sounds like a bicicle chain running... Also for testing, if I have 20 km/h and put it in 4th gear and accelerating, I can hear tapping. It sounds like a bicicle chain running...

I have checked, but not, it's definitely from the engine, if I dont press the gas pedal it's gone. It sounds like a bicicle chain running... Also for testing, if I have 20 km/h and put it in 4th gear and accelerating, I can hear tapping. It sounds like a bicicle chain running...

Cambelt hitting the cover maybe? Or timing chain if it has one instead of a cambelt. Might be worth a feel of the alternator pulley see if thats loose, maybe ditto the water pump pulley and anything else ancilliary that spins.

I don't think is the cambelt hitting the cover , it's a metalic sound, I'll try to record it. Tomorrow I'll take a look at what you said. I don't know yet how to get there and what to feel, but I'll find out.

I forgot to tell it's a mk2 1.2 8v

I don't think is the cambelt hitting the cover , it's a metalic sound, I'll try to record it. Tomorrow I'll take a look at what you said. I don't know yet how to get there and what to feel, but I'll find out.

I forgot to tell it's a mk2 1.2 8v

Does it have hydraulic tappets....? Just a thought...

I have no ideea, but quoting littlepip17: "all fiat 8v over head cam engines have solid tappets they are not hydraulic".

When I got this punto I had no ideea about mechanics, but since then I have learned a lot :bang:

:p

Back