Technical Another starter problem...

Currently reading:
Technical Another starter problem...

Noah500

1971 Fiat 500L LHD
Following the problems I had previously (see here) I've now got more.

I went to an enjoyable classic car breakfast meeting at Blackbushe Airport yesterday - the car started fine on the way there, and setting off home - and then stopped off at a supermarket on the way home.

Got back in the car, pulled the starter lever, it turned over a few times but didn't catch - no problem, sometimes happens when it's hot, so tried again. Strange noise but doesn't sound like it's turning.

Thanks to two kind people who gave me a push I bump started it and got home...

I took another look today and tried it again - still the same. Looks like I'll have to take it off again but based on the videos, any thoughts and suggestions please?

Attachments

• 20230828_120942.mp4
    21.7 MB
Ok, I took it out and apart again. The commutators, even though I had cleaned them up before, had some black crud on so I assume there was not a good enough connection to start it. I cleaned it up, checked the brushes, and even took apart the switch to give it a good clean.

All back together and back in the car and success! Ignition off, then on again to double check and... same graunching noise ☹️. Seems like something is out of alignment or sticking... I've got a local friend who has a couple of secondhand spare starter motors so I'll try one of those. If that is not in working order it looks like I'll have to fork out for a new/reconditioned one

Removed the starter again - more crud on the commutators, and this time I checked the brushes again and a) they're worn down and b) they're uneven. I've ordered some more from a different source from the ones I bought previously from Ricambio which were a bit too thick, then I'll clean everything up again, refit and retry.

First pic is everything all cleaned up before refitting last time, others are after 3 attempted starts (1 OK, 2 fails)

Attachments

• 20230829_105311.jpg
    20230829_105311.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20230830_142217.jpg
    20230830_142217.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • 20230830_152206.jpg
    20230830_152206.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
OK, touch wood it now seems to be OK. I got the new brushes and also picked up the secondhand starter from my friend Vittorio which had the same model number (though some parts wee slightly different). Looking again at the problem with the old one, I think it may be something to do with the commutator end getting stuck in position, thus causing the very worn brushes to stick in one place and not turn... maybe not enough washers on the shaft at that end? In any case, I decided to make a new start from the best bits of my old one and the secondhand one donated by Vittorio. I ended up with:

From my original starter:
  • flywheel end piece (which I had already put a new bush in) including brand new Bendix and lever
  • switch which was in much better condition generally, though with the cable post from the donated one
  • commutator end closing ring - better condition
From the donated one:
  • central body - sanded and repainted in black
  • shaft with washers
  • switch cable post
  • actuation lever rubber boot
  • commutator end with brush holders and bush
  • long bolts with insulation - mine had cracked insulation on one bolt
+ some new stainless nylocs and washers.

The secondhand one, the Frankenstein new one and the remaining parts put back together for future spares, etc.:

Attachments

• 2023-09-01 05 Fiat 500 secondhand starter motor (Large).jpg
    2023-09-01 05 Fiat 500 secondhand starter motor (Large).jpg
    235 KB · Views: 34
  • 2023-09-02 01 Fiat 500 refurbished starter motor (Large).jpg
    2023-09-02 01 Fiat 500 refurbished starter motor (Large).jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 2023-09-02 02 Fiat 500 old spare parts starter motor (Large).jpg
    2023-09-02 02 Fiat 500 old spare parts starter motor (Large).jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 33
OK, touch wood it now seems to be OK. I got the new brushes and also picked up the secondhand starter from my friend Vittorio which had the same model number (though some parts wee slightly different). Looking again at the problem with the old one, I think it may be something to do with the commutator end getting stuck in position, thus causing the very worn brushes to stick in one place and not turn... maybe not enough washers on the shaft at that end? In any case, I decided to make a new start from the best bits of my old one and the secondhand one donated by Vittorio. I ended up with:

From my original starter:
  • flywheel end piece (which I had already put a new bush in) including brand new Bendix and lever
  • switch which was in much better condition generally, though with the cable post from the donated one
  • commutator end closing ring - better condition
From the donated one:
  • central body - sanded and repainted in black
  • shaft with washers
  • switch cable post
  • actuation lever rubber boot
  • commutator end with brush holders and bush
  • long bolts with insulation - mine had cracked insulation on one bolt
+ some new stainless nylocs and washers.

The secondhand one, the Frankenstein new one and the remaining parts put back together for future spares, etc.:
Looks like a nice job. Im glad your running again

Back