Annoying people on the phone!!

Currently reading:
Annoying people on the phone!!

angie-B

i am going to have a bit of a rant,

Has anyone ever worked in a job where people make an enquiry about a product, you then sent the info out to them and give them a call back about a week later to see their views and if they want more info or a demo?
Well i do, so last week i sent some info out on an email and i just called him back and he was really nasty to me, (here is a rough script of what was said)

"Hello, i am calling about the info i sent you last week"
"What information"
"After we spoke on the 18th you asked for more info"
"well what format did you send the info"
"i sent it direct to your email, you gave me the address last week"
"i assure you i did not give you my email"
"well is it 'blahblahblah'"
"yes, well i probably didnt read the info"
I got annoyed at this point
"Even though you asked for it"
"Why would i ask for infomation about a product i DO NOT want"
"So you are not interested after all then"
"No i am not GOODBYE"

Why did he have to be nasty to me, its not my fault this is my job, aggghh i am so annoyed now.

ok sorry i just had to share this, is it just me or are people just nasty???

I used to be a lifeguard, and its days like today i wish i still was, all i did then was sit on a high chair, watching people swim and telling children off for bombing or breaking the rules!

Easy Life!!!

I'm generally fortunate, in that in my job ( when I'm there :D ) I only deal with people on a 'working with' rather than 'selling to' basis.

However, a couple of years back, I was hard up (being a student!) and not wanting to go back to my proper job over christmas, I took a temp job at a shop which stocks many of the designer brands favoured by chavs.

Imagine my joy at have to remain polite to a chav who is doin his, 'oh man, nor man, ya propa radgie' bit because we had sold out of his favoured style of Rockports (the ones with extra fluorescent bits apparently!)

Grrr... still angers me now :devil:

angie-B said:
I used to be a lifeguard, and its days like today i wish i still was, all i did then was sit on a high chair, watching people swim and telling children off for bombing or breaking the rules!

Easy Life!!!

Plus you could pretend not to notice the chav drowning :devil:

I find customers are always bad tempered, and never want to give you the time to explain stuff... I therefore make sure that when I'm the customer I'm equally bad tempered, but I know how to get the person on the other end of the phone to do something for me!

one little phrase I always remember is Fussy Customers, if you swap the 'F' and the 'C'. I think you'll agree!

Last edited:
Poor you Angie you have a really hard job as many are not a fan of cold calers and I bet you get some nasty types. As long as you're not the one who keeps trying to sell me something after I've said 'no' 20 times ;). I hate working with the public - the majority of them are so stupid and mean. Can you tell I had a crap day at worK???

Sometimes I can't believe the attitude problem people have who come shopping at work. They tend to be let out at the weekend too i've noticed. I would never dream of walking in to a shop and curse and swear and treat staff like crap because the trolley they want is not in the bay near the exit door, or cuz they get sent away when they try and use the exit when it states in neon letters three times exit/exit only before you reach the door or becuase you wont refund them on a half filled spray can of paint or a drill covered in dust and crap etc...
I'm fed up with em and I cant spare them the time of day so i've done internal transfers to about the only 2 jobs where you don't have to interact with them. Trolley pusher and warehouse picker.

Some people really baffle and amaze me.

Helz said:
Poor you Angie you have a really hard job as many are not a fan of cold calers and I bet you get some nasty types. As long as you're not the one who keeps trying to sell me something after I've said 'no' 20 times ;). I hate working with the public - the majority of them are so stupid and mean. Can you tell I had a crap day at worK???
we send letters out to people and follow them up, i am usually really nice and if they get nasty, i get nicer and nicer, but yesterday morning i just couldnt be nice as he was so mean and nasty...grrrr but today is another day and i will be nice as pie to everyone and they will be the same to me as well i hope.

Hehehe..
I know that feeling, Angie...Ive worked for two places now in a customer services telephone based role.

One is a direct mail clothing place, the other was a loans broker.
Its quite amazing how much some people will go on about having recieved a small bit of paper..Ive had people on the phone for 10-20mins before complaining about it. Previously, weve recieved entire catalogues shredded (or just cut into neat little squares?) in the post from irritated customers.

Admittedly, I think the mail order place does mail a bit too much at times, but when someone puts themselves on a mailing list, what do they expect??

PS: Ive always found people from the South East seem really bad at tolerating it!!!

[/rant]

I could go on.....in fact, wait until monday, then I may have more tales to tell :D

Ever noticed how most clients never listen and then start blaming yu afor their own shortcomings??

That irritates me even more...
I can but up with a self-rightous, I-earn-more-money-in-a-week-than-yu-will-in-yure-lifetime attitude, but not listening, I cannot :mad:

I had my best one ever last night.

Customer calls. "Why won't the cash machine let me withdraw £500?"
Me: You are allowed to withdraw £500 per day on your card. Let me just check your a/c and card status
I check her a/c. she's already made 2 withdrawals today. first one for £10 and second for £20. It's a sole a/c so it's definitely her card that has been used
Me: You've already made 2 cash withdrawals today so that why it won't let you withdraw £500
Customer: But you've just said that I can take £500 a day
Me: Yes you can but you've already taken £30
Customer: But i'm only trying to take £500
Me: You can withdraw £500 per day and you've already withdrawn £30
Customer: Didn't you do maths at school? I'm only trying to take £500 out
Me: Actually, I have an A-level in Maths. You can't take more than £500 per day and you've already taken £30. If you try to take £470, it will let you do that without any problems
Customer: Oh! It's me being stupid. You should have made it clear in the first place. Thanks bye
Me: bye bye
Customer hangs up
Me: (shouts)I made it clear three ****ing times!

arseofbox said:
I can but up with a self-rightous, I-earn-more-money-in-a-week-than-yu-will-in-yure-lifetime attitude, but not listening, I cannot :mad:
I once had that from a customer. he said: You are a pathetic little call centre worker earning a pathetic wage and living in a pathetic house.

My reply was: Yes, and I love it :cool:

I was considering replying: You haven't mentioned my car ;)

Angie, u can phone me anytime ;)

I used to work in Retail.. worked one step up from sales advisor to supervisor... the amount of grief u have to deal with.. GRRR... as a sales advisor u can pass it on to management and never deal with it after that.
but still.. GRRR... I'd never rant at anyone since i've been that kinda position, and most of the time, they do genuinely can't help if they say so.
Plus its just nicer to be nice... i.e. never have a go at someone in a restaurant or to the person styling your hair...

hehe... indeed...

i had someone **** my hair up... damn her... she's gone now though :D
maybe she had a lot of complaints... either way, it cost me £5 for the haircut and she didn't get a tip.. the next time i went in, it costs me £5 and i was so happy compared to previous, i gave the new stylist another £5 as a tip... that and she was hot.

I made the mistake of goin to one place cos i was in a rush....

"A bit shorter on top please"5mins later it had turned into a number 2 all over...

Still growing back to normal 5weeks on.Lol

Back