Technical Android head unit

Currently reading:
Technical Android head unit

Morning chaps
been looking at different options to the 5” nav head unit with uconnect that i have. Uconnect is ok and plays music as long as i connect the app with car and navigation works ok with uconnect live updates but I’ve just found out the maps are out of date and can only be updated via fiat at a cost of £150 and after, maps can be update for 3years and then another £150 so on and so on.
ive searched the internet and found this android head unit with a lot built in and want to know what you guys think as it’s not much dearer than the upgrade.
https://pt.erisin.com/products/eris...ay-obd-tpms-dab-radio-for-fiat-egea-2015-2017

let me know your thoughts

Attachments

• 8154B3DE-B3D2-4E89-B570-FE0043E64C71.png
    8154B3DE-B3D2-4E89-B570-FE0043E64C71.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Morning chaps
been looking at different options to the 5” nav head unit with uconnect that i have. Uconnect is ok and plays music as long as i connect the app with car and navigation works ok with uconnect live updates but I’ve just found out the maps are out of date and can only be updated via fiat at a cost of £150 and after, maps can be update for 3years and then another £150 so on and so on.
ive searched the internet and found this android head unit with a lot built in and want to know what you guys think as it’s not much dearer than the upgrade.
https://pt.erisin.com/products/eris...ay-obd-tpms-dab-radio-for-fiat-egea-2015-2017

let me know your thoughts
It was only £100 for 3 years when I got the update lisence a few months ago

Personal experience from other cars that have these sorts of things available.

Cheap android units can be a very mixed bag quality wise you may get lucky and it'll be great but the chances are just as good that'll it'll never work quite right or fail after 9 months.

I went with a Pioneer Android Auto unit... absolutely fewer features and didn't look as fancy but sounded great and worked.

That's my 2 pence, given how much better Google maps tends to be I'd prefer an aftermarket solution but I'd definitely research your chosen unit carefully.

Personal experience from other cars that have these sorts of things available.

Cheap android units can be a very mixed bag quality wise you may get lucky and it'll be great but the chances are just as good that'll it'll never work quite right or fail after 9 months.

I went with a Pioneer Android Auto unit... absolutely fewer features and didn't look as fancy but sounded great and worked.

That's my 2 pence, given how much better Google maps tends to be I'd prefer an aftermarket solution but I'd definitely research your chosen unit carefully.
Yeah I must admit, being none branded has left me in doubt and seen tablet single din with learning mode but not convinced they’ll last.

Yeah I must admit, being none branded has left me in doubt and seen tablet single din with learning mode but not convinced they’ll last.
My theory with these unbranded but specific fit head units is they all have the same guts in them and then they just change the face plate and screen to suit the application. They are available for quite a few cars.

They are very spangly, quite cheap and on paper good, however in practice a bit hit and miss.

But a quick bit of Googlefu suggests just the fitting kit for a Tipo for a double din head unit is 110 quid a "proper" double din android auto/carplay head unit would kick off at 350 quid or so. At that point it's not a budget option.

I guess it comes down to what's better for you, if you're doing the work then pulling bits in and out if they fail/going back to standard is annoying but not necessarily expensive. If you're paying for fitting multiple labour charges add up quickly.

Personally I went the expensive route..it also means you end up with a head unit that can be taken with you and would fit your next car or sold to anyone that has a car that can a take a double din unit.

My theory with these unbranded but specific fit head units is they all have the same guts in them and then they just change the face plate and screen to suit the application. They are available for quite a few cars.

They are very spangly, quite cheap and on paper good, however in practice a bit hit and miss.

But a quick bit of Googlefu suggests just the fitting kit for a Tipo for a double din head unit is 110 quid a "proper" double din android auto/carplay head unit would kick off at 350 quid or so. At that point it's not a budget option.

I guess it comes down to what's better for you, if you're doing the work then pulling bits in and out if they fail/going back to standard is annoying but not necessarily expensive. If you're paying for fitting multiple labour charges add up quickly.

Personally I went the expensive route..it also means you end up with a head unit that can be taken with you and would fit your next car or sold to anyone that has a car that can a take a double din unit.
Cheers Steve yeah i agree and will look into the double din option. I’ve also asked another fiat service dealer a quote for upgrading the maps in another area not far from me so will see what price they come back with.

Just an update chaps
spoke to fiat online who couldn’t help with knowledge of updating the maps and advised to contact a local dealer, which I’ll explain in a bit. While i was online I asked the adviser if i can extend the uconnect service as it expired on the 27/12/22 and they told me uconnect will not exist anymore and will close its support to fca account ie fiat,Jeep etc so no live traffic and was advised the app will shut down too 🤷🏻‍♂️ So not sure if phones will connect to head unit to play music etc.
as for the main dealer, they told me the map update was from £150 to £300 and advised to use my phone with ways or google maps pmsl 🤣🤣
from my experience I don’t think any of the people knew what they was talking about as none of them could give me concrete info and felt they just fobbed me off lol
the online adviser was adamant uconnect service will end if not already.

Back