Amp/sub/speaker RMS & dream system

Currently reading:
Amp/sub/speaker RMS & dream system

Evilpaperclip

What is the usual RMS for speakers and subs? Or failing 'usual' what is a good wattage? as im on eBay and theres a whole bunch of 800W amps and a few 50W speakers and I know 800 will blow a 50W, I also know eBay is probably crap.
Anyone have a better site which is still relatively cheap for a relatively good system and that gives more accurate wattage specs?
Also if you want, Id love to know your dream/current sound system and about how much it cost :D

"Good" rms, depends on how much money you want to spend tbh.

My system is set up of, JBL gt5 sub - 275w rms i think. with an mx amp, which claims 250w rms bridged for the sub, and 125rms for the other 2 channels for speakers. rms on speakers i think isnt that high , around 100w i believe.

LOL that is a pretty open question. A lot depends on the efficiency of the speaker. A speaker with 80db efficiency wont be as loud as one with 110 efficiency, but that doesnt mean it will have as good quality.

Then we need to take into considering budget. If you have £50 then youl be lucky to get 50watts RMS through a sub. If you have a few grand then you should be looking at 3000 watts RMS.
Then if you have 20 grand you will be looking at a tunnel and 10-15000+w RMS.

But it depends on what your personal taste is. If you like the SQ side of things then any of the budgets above can be thrown out of the window.

There is a little saying though in the ICE world 20% Equipment 80% installation. ;)

As for good places to get ICE, try caraudiodirect.co.uk and caraudiosecurity.com.

Now for the perfect set up. I cant really answer that without hearing some of the higher end kit.
I would really like to get a second one of the stroker pro's that i have. I would love to get them working in the perfect box. This is a task that i believe one of the best distributors of ICE and all round ICE legend failed to achieve. I mean it did sound fooking amazing when it was in the car and yeah it did probably hit above 140db with a dodgy power supply. I just think that it had way more potential and for an "SQ" sub with 3 or 4 of them i think that i could make a system with proper sound staging, good quality, hits like concrete over 150db :slayer:

damn sounds good XD Yea my budget is about 300 ish. Thats for HU, 6x9s, 8/6.5s, sub and an amp or 2. Probably shooting a bit high there, I looked at caraudiosecurity, its a good site, Ill have a look at the other one later.

damn sounds good XD Yea my budget is about 300 ish. Thats for HU, 6x9s, 8/6.5s, sub and an amp or 2. Probably shooting a bit high there, I looked at caraudiosecurity, its a good site, Ill have a look at the other one later.

HU: Look for ex demo or sale models from www.caraudiosecurity.com or www.caraudiodirect.com or buy second hand off eBay, this will keep you in budget. otherwise ~£100 for a HU and ~£150 for a sub/amp is basically your budget gone.

6x9's: Disregard, they are pointless working alongside a sub you have either one or the other (preferably a sub)

8/6.5's: Don't know what car you drive so don't know which you would need, but suffice to say components with cross overs is money better spent than a pair of coaxials.

sub and amp: As I mentioned just they are best off being bought together, there are some nicely priced packages out there at the min, if you can find one I would go for a 4channel amp. Cheaper than buyiing two seperate amps and you just hook a channel for each front component and use the other two channels bridged together to power the sub. Around half your budget will be spent here.

Oh and you forgot to include a wiring kit into your budget.

I take it you will be doing the installation yourself.?

Yea the wiring doesn't seem so hard, i got a cinq, Ive got 2 4"s in the front panels, Ill connect those to the head unit cos theyre probably low RMS anyway. Then was wondering about 8/6.5/5.25" in doorcards.
The only problem with those websites is they dont do a deal with a sub and a 4 channel amp, so I have to buy seperately.
Im going for a cheap HU off eBay so most of my money will be for amp/sub/speakers.
You mentioned crossovers and coaxials, what are those? :p

Coaxials are what the stock speakers are. Put basically they are a combination speaker made up of a woofer (larger speaker) and a tweeter (little speaker in the center). The woofer is for the lower notes and the tweeter for the higher notes. The problem is the woofer drowns out the tweeters sounds so its not as clear.

Component speakers are exactly the same except the woofer and the tweeter are seperate, which means you can split the sound to make it clearer. The crossover just sends the right sound to the right speaker. They are more expensive than coaxial speakers generally but are a lot clearer so worth it in my opinion.

Hope that was a clear enough explanation :eek:

This is a coaxial speaker:
spg10c2.jpg

See how the little tweeter is in the center?

And this is a component:
spr13s.jpg

See how the Woofer and Tweeter are seperate and there is a crossover box with them?

Last edited:
Ahhh got ya. But that is a bi out of my price range, Ill stick with coaxial until im making the mega bucks :p Thanks for the explanation

Ahhh got ya. But that is a bi out of my price range, Ill stick with coaxial until im making the mega bucks :p Thanks for the explanation

i agree with smokey, get a 4 channel amp, like me im using a toxic 800 watt amp 4ch, im running 2 channels briged to my 1300w peak/ 400wrms sub and 1 channel im using with my 6x9's with the crossover function, so front and 6x9 are giving me the sound, and the bass is coming from the subwoofer, :D

Back