Technical Am I missing a thermostat?

Currently reading:
Technical Am I missing a thermostat?

Noah500

1971 Fiat 500L LHD
Ummm... based on this photo of the thermostat housing, am I missing the actual thermostat? Looking back at earlier photos I don't think there has ever been anything bolted onto the top of the housing. I've done about 100kms like this since getting the car in September...

Attachments

• 20220125_083647 (Large).jpg
    20220125_083647 (Large).jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 109
Is the flap underneath loose? And does it have anything attached. The thermostat, which is a wax filled cylinder with a kind of threaded rod attaches from this plate, down to the flap. Mine had previously vibrated loose, so the whole assembly remained attached to the plate you show in the image, but the flap was err... flapping! It's conceivable that your's has come free at the top, but remains attached to the flap.

Ok.., as a matter of interest, why not?
The cooling flap will remain open by default without the thermostat. Might make it marginally slower getting the engine up to temperature, but it shouldn't overheat.

Ummm... based on this photo of the thermostat housing, am I missing the actual thermostat? Looking back at earlier photos I don't think there has ever been anything bolted onto the top of the housing. I've done about 100kms like this since getting the car in September...
...definitely need the thermostat if you use it in all seasons in the UK.

Ok.., as a matter of interest, why not?
Well mine is never totally closed, i mean the flap, it was when i bought a new thermostat but after some time it is kind of loose, even if closed it still has gaps so i don't think it really effect the heating time, those engines can be hot in a very short of time anyway. Ofcourse its nice to have it but not critical in my opinion. And because i live in a hot climate i have discard the heater hose αλσο so i have even better cooling. Heater still operates even without the hose believe it or not if you can smell the fumes in the cabin.

Back