Alpine 9850Ri & Infinity 6522SI problem

Currently reading:
Alpine 9850Ri & Infinity 6522SI problem

phem0r

Hello

I have a Fiat Punto 51 plate.

The headunit i have is this - Alpine CDE-9850Ri (google it)

The speakers i have are these - Infinity REF6522Si (look on there site)

Ive had the headunit in the car for a little while now and decided to buy some speakers to replace the fronts.

The speakers are in and work fine, i cross referenced the wiring from the alpine manual and the punto manual to make sure i had the correct positives and negatives all the correct way round and it appears fine.

My problem is that twice now when ive been driving home or whatever the sound has just gone... the speakers crackle n pop a little then the sound comes back upto a minute later.

Ive had the speakers back out to make sure the wires are on correctly and even crimped them down to make sure they stayed on there... but the sound still cut out once after this...

Im somewhat puzzled as to what the issue is so any help would be great :D

Thanks

to me that implies loose connection somewhere.

does it do it one both sides or one?
can you make it happen or is it completely random?
bumpy road?
are they wired straight into headunit or using external amp?

firstly check connections on back on HU. if its only happens on one side swap the wires over on the HU to see if its the same speaker or the same channel, this will eliminate either the HU or the wiring/speaker. if it's the wiring or speaker swap the speakers then see which it is.

if it's happening on both sides at the same time it could be the speakers not connected properly to the HU or a fault with the HU. do you still have standard HU or another you could test it with?

if it happens completely randomly though it'll take longer to go through the checks eliminating things.

It happens on both sides at the exact same time, i havent been able to recreate the problem and i havent gone in a pot hole at the time that im aware of.

There wired directly to the headunit, i havent used new wires i have just used the existing speakers that were there from the original speakers being there.

I have the standard HU at home but im at work heh, and all my music plays from my Ipod which i cant connect to standard HU.

I thought this was gonna be simple heh :(

it probably is simple!

try this then, take the HU out and play some music then just wiggle the speaker wires a bit and see if it still does it. it could be a loose connection in the block or in the HU.

as it does it both sides its unlikely to be loose connections on the individual speakers.

if you can re-create the problem and can't cure it, try it with the other HU and see if it still does it.

I'll give that a shot as soon as me boss ****s off ;)

Ill post later as to how it goes

Well ive just had the speakers and HU out again. ive protected the speakers connectors from shorting again the door by using electrical tape around the connectors.

Ive had the headunit out and rechecked all the wiring and re -plugged it all together again. Played some music whilst wiggling the crap out of all the connectors and nothing happened, music continued to play nicely.

I had this HU in my car for about a week before i got the Infinity speakers. I did several 1hour drives with the HU constantly playing music on the old standard speakers.

One thing i will say is that whilst i had the HU out and playing music... it felt pretty dam hot at the back of it on that big black heatsink bit so im thinking maybe the new speakers are making the HU overheat?

if you're playing the music at a higher volume then the amp in the HU will be running harder and hotter but it should be able to handle it. Also if it were down to head i would have thought the sound would just cut out and not crackle.

could try playing it as loud as possible without distortion for long periods to see if it does it, then the same at low volumes.

however when i had a loose connection it seemed like it did it when it was on max volume.

Both times its happened ive had it at volume 16 so its pretty loud :D

Well you say about it cutting out... the music does cut out but the headunit is still playing... like the seconds of the track are still ticking along... the crackles i said about.. its not a constant crackle but only a few crackles..apart from that just silence.

Those speakers are showing the HU amp a 2ohm load which the HU can't really handle - sounds like the HU amp is going into some kind of thermal protection (explains why the HU heatsink was hot). Nothing to do with the installation IMO.

Refit the original speakers - see if the problem persists.

Last edited:
if that's the case i guess getting an external amp would also solve the problem and probably make better sound quality too. would require more wiring though.

What ohm'age does the HU support then??

The speakers are 2ohm's according to the Infinity website.

Im gonna be driving home from work in a minute and the last 2 days its cut out when ive been driving home so will see if it does it tonight :(

I could get an external amp as you say but i wouldn't want a crazy big one or anything as im not planning to fit any other speakers, just wanted to change the front originals to something better than the standard.

Last edited:
What ohm'age does the HU support then??

The speakers are 2ohm's according to the Infinity website.

Im gonna be driving home from work in a minute and the last 2 days its cut out when ive been driving home so will see if it does it tonight :(

I could get an external amp as you say but i wouldn't want a crazy big one or anything as im not planning to fit any other speakers, just wanted to change the front originals to something better than the standard.

HU supports 4ohm.

If you're going to have the speakers on, try running it at a lower volume. Although I would say don't run them at all - continuously running the HU amp into protection won't do it any favours.

Another option would be to get another set of (4 ohm) speakers.

i'm surprised they are 2 ohms as i thought car speakers were generally 4. you wouldn't need a big amp. external amp doesn't necessarily mean big volume. the speakers will run more comfortably and so will the amp. not sure what power speakers you have but a 2 channel 100w rms per channel or less should be loads and would probably be even better SQ.

put a nice little amp in the boot, won't take up any space really and wire up!

Ive got the same HU and I used the stock wires in my car and added 4 Ohm component speakers running of the HU amp.
The HU is quoted to be 4 Ohm stable so running 2 Ohm speakers might not be such a good idea. I often have it at around the same volume as you but sometimes have it at 20 for long periods of time on the motorway, but you may be overheating it due to the lower impedance.

I would try, as previously suggested, some 4 Ohm speakers, whether standard or from a friend or try popping into your local car audio shop (not halfords) and see if they could lend you some old ones?

Back