Alloy Wheel Cleaner

Currently reading:
Alloy Wheel Cleaner

I'm having trouble removing some dirt from my alloy wheels using conventional methods; I was wondered what everyone would recommend?

dscn2229.jpg
dscn2229.jpg

dscn2230.jpg

dscn2230.jpg

It looks like compounded brake dust to me; but it's not coming off with car shampoo, so I thought claying would get it off, but that's not working as the clay is getting discoloured whilst having no noticable effect on the dirt?

Should I be using an acid-based cleaner, though I thought they were for non-painted wheels only?

Is the bilberry stuff any good for this baked-on (as it appears) dirt? Interestingly only one of my alloys has this on, the rest are fine.

The back of the wheel doesn't bear thinking about:

dscn2231.jpg
dscn2231.jpg

Any help much appreciated,
gp3000000

EDIT: Pictures now fixed.

Last edited:
a strong mix of Bilberry may get some of it off, and then clayed after this.

If your clay is getting mucky too quickly then your alloys arent really clean enough yet for you to clay them IME as i had this problem first time i did mine!

Use Bilberry either lightly diluted or even neat, that should shift it. If not, use an acid based cleaner. They're fine on your wheels as long as you don't leave them on and don't use them on chipped paint. My friend had some marks similar to yours on his Swift Sport, I used Autoglym Wheel Cleaner on them and they came up a treat, and he's had no problems since.

Back