Technical Alarm & Stability - Marea 2.0 20v

Currently reading:
Technical Alarm & Stability - Marea 2.0 20v

Tryfan_Tamer

The Analyzer
A couple of questions to the forum please..

(1) When my alarm goes off all that happens is the indicators flash. No sound at all. Is this normal?

(2) When the car is travelling at speed (80 mph) the whole car shakes like crazy. I am assuming that the wheels need balancing and tracking but is thier a 'known' problem I should be aware off?

That is it. Cheers & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Rob

Tryfan_Tamer said:
A couple of questions to the forum please..

(1) When my alarm goes off all that happens is the indicators flash. No sound at all. Is this normal?
Don't quote me on this one but I think you may need a new alarm control unit/alrm itself, this is located in the n/s/f wheel arch behind the wheel arch cover.
Best thing is to take it to Fiat for them to look at but I don't think its a cheap job (n)

Tryfan_Tamer said:
(2) When the car is travelling at speed (80 mph) the whole car shakes like crazy. I am assuming that the wheels need balancing and tracking but is thier a 'known' problem I should be aware off?
Yup this sounds like it could be a wheel balancing prob or a twisted tyre tread. If its tracking it normaly wears the tyre tread on one side.
Take the car to a local tyre shop & let them have a look they should have no trouble fixing your problem.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I am going to get the tracking done in a few minutes so that should be one problem out of the way.

Regarding the Alarm though. I have read a coupe of posts from Polecat and he mentioned a key for the fuse box (down RHS below steering wheel). Surely enough I have an aluminium plate with "on" "off" written on it but there is just a hole... nothing else! Should there be? Can somone also tell me what the button near the green LED on the roof (by the sunroof controls) is for? Could someone also tell me where the siren is? I have heard that you can put some in Valet mode which sounds similar to what mine is acting like. I can't see the point of having a "stealth" alarm!

The car however is fantastic. Had it for two months now, spent a fortune in Petrol :) But is drives sooooo well I don't care. Still haven't sorted out the washers on the lights although I have proven that 12v is getting to the motor when you press the washer button so I guess the problem is either a blockage or the motor. Next job is to pull the hose of the motor and see if it pushes water out when I hit the button but the weather has been too crap to do this.

This website is excellent , one of the best forum type sites I have seen. Well done to the owner!!

Rob

Tryfan_Tamer said:
Thanks Rob. I am going to get the tracking done in a few minutes so that should be one problem out of the way.

Regarding the Alarm though. I have read a coupe of posts from Polecat and he mentioned a key for the fuse box (down RHS below steering wheel). Surely enough I have an aluminium plate with "on" "off" written on it but there is just a hole... nothing else! Should there be? Can somone also tell me what the button near the green LED on the roof (by the sunroof controls) is for? Could someone also tell me where the siren is? I have heard that you can put some in Valet mode which sounds similar to what mine is acting like. I can't see the point of having a "stealth" alarm!
The "Key" by the fuse box was used on earlier models i think so yours is right not to have one. The reason the hole there is because these cars are production made & it would be pointless & costly to make that part of the car without the hole when it is not needed so theats why they just take the switch/key out. ;)

The button on the roof is for programing the alarm throught the car key. This only works when either you have a small white tag with the spare keys with a 4 digit number on it to "open" the memory throught the interior light assembly which is connected to the alarm control unit/siren. Some times it can be programmed without the code if the memory isn't "locked". Its a bit hard to explain but it may be in the owners manual.

& the alarm Siren is located in the n/s/f wing. The siren is also the control unit :)

Again hope this helps...........

Hi TT,
I am not aware of a setting that turns the beeps off, it can be disabled on some imports though. You can switch the siren to quiet mode by pushing the key button for more than 4 secs, you should hear 5 beeps.
This should reset after the next time you use it, if not try putting the key into MAR position for more than 30 secs before setting the alarm.

BB Thanks for a very useful reply to this post. You gain a rep point :)

Thanks BB & Polecat. I will go investigating the Siren once the weather in Wales settles down - some chance of that happening. Got two new front tyres and tracking done now (tracking was WAAAAAAAY out!) Car drives like it should now. (y) ASDA have just dropped petrol prices to 76.9p... may have to fill up later! ;)

Tried the pressing the key button for 4 secs...nothing! Turned the key to MAR and left for 30 secs...nothing again. I guess it is time to find that siren/control then. :confused: Unfortunately I have no owners manual with this car so I will need to go and pick up a manual from somewhere. Thanks again for the help.. I will persevere and let you know the final outcome. I have a local Fiat dealership but I fear they may charge a lot of money to fix what may be a simple problem.

Rob

Just another snippet on the Alarm issue. Emailed Fiat and they replied...

it would be adviseable contacting your nearest dealership, in order to solve this problem...

Great! :bang:

Anyways had a long search for the Siren and couldn't find it behind the wheel arch cover, maybe that is the problem it isn't there! Or more likely I took off the wrong cover... :(

Came to a conclusion with the washer motor though, it is buggered. Managed to remove the power from the working motor (for windscreen) and swap with the power for light washer and the light washer motor is dead. Are these easy to swap out, does anyone know. Had a good look today and looks fairly easy although I am likely to get covered in windscreen wash!

Gave the engine a good clean today. Wow there is a lot of engine! I like Polecats colour scheme I may have to go for something similar, it seems a shame to leave the engine bay devoid of colour!

Thanks BB for all your help but I guess I really need to buy a book (with pictures!)

Rob

Damn!

Just had a search on Internet for manual for the 2.0 20v Fiat Marea and I can't find one anywhere!!!! All the manuals for Mareas say "Not for 2.0 20v version"

Does anyone know where I can get one from?

Cheers

Rob

Tryfan_Tamer said:
Just another snippet on the Alarm issue. Emailed Fiat and they replied...

it would be adviseable contacting your nearest dealership, in order to solve this problem...

Great! :bang:

Anyways had a long search for the Siren and couldn't find it behind the wheel arch cover, maybe that is the problem it isn't there! Or more likely I took off the wrong cover... :(
The siren is in the passengers side front wheel arch, right up near the top of the wing where it meets the windscreen.
Take the complete arch liner out & put your head inside & look up you will see a black alarm siren.
This is where i used to find them unless they have been moved in the last 2 years :eek:

Thanks BB will have a look at the weekend, pending weather and wife going into Labor. :eek: I took the wrong panel off :eek: Still want to get a book though! Will let you know the outcome... Cheers. Rob.

Back