Technical Aircon problem

Currently reading:
Technical Aircon problem

yuri

Hi all,

ive been searching through the forum and found alot of threads about problems with the aircon, but i just couldnt resist and post my own problem too.

I bought my Marea second hand last year, and had the airco cleaned out and refilled then. Used it last summer, and a bit in the winter, but now (its bloody hot) its just not working anymore.
When i press the snowflake button, the light comes on but I:
1) dont notice a significant drop in revs
2) dont get the nice cool air i used to have :p

The things if tried / checked and didnt do:
- i read you should use your aircon once a week, even in the winter. I didnt do that :bang:
- Since its refilled last year, i reckon it cant have drained, can it?
- i checked the fuses, they are all good
- the compressor belt is running, but im not sure if the 'inner' part of the compressor runs when i turn on the A/C
- one thing ive noticed is that my engine coolant blower isnt running when the car is in stationary (you know, the two big blower in front) Im not really sure if they run in stationary or only when your driving?
- i tried using the error code check, but since my marea doesnt have the climate control (just the Aircon) this doesnt work.

I'm in the proces of going to the local garage but just wanted to be sure im not going to make a complete tool of myself there :devil:

i have noticed on mine the clutch isnt working so thats somthing else to fix, if you look at the compressor when the engine is running but with the a/c off see the 3 silver heads that appear to hold it together? well when the a/c is on that should all be spinning.

sorry i cant help any more i havent looked into mine yet.

hmm, i've noticed that particular element of the compressor too, and i also noticed that it wasnt turning when the A/C was on...
does this mean that i need a regass?

on another note:
i have had problems with my outside temp display. Last winter, when i pressed it, it displayed the temp, but the display wouldnt return to its 'normal' position after a few seconds. I'm gonna check if the outside temp reads fine now :)

edit2:
outside temp reads just fine, and goes away after a few seconds (35 degrees celsius here :S )
i tried the 'silver head' and i can rotate it by hand, but it doesnt rotate when i put on my A/C so the problem is there.

Last edited:
JoskeJTD said:
Sounds to me like it needs a regass. Make sure those that regass put oil in aswell.

put oil in aswell? care to eleborate? ;)
anyway, i just want to make sure im only going to the dealer for a regass. So is there any other way i can make absolutly sure thats the problem?

bulldog5046 said:
JoskeJTD are you sure? surley if the second part isnt rotating then the clutch isnt engaging thus meaning its the compressor at fault?

well, thats the problem. The way i see it, it can still be alot.
Is it true that when the compressor belt is running, that means the compressor is good? Because i dont want to replace that...
Furthermore, as i asked in my startpost, is it normal that the blowers in front arent rotating whilst stationary?

ill just get it checked for a refill, if the amount of coolant inside is good, ill try something else... anymore ideas?

no power to your compressor? as in, no power so the whole thing doesnt do anything, or no power as in the middle part isnt spinning?
im going to check something else, because im beginning to have the idea something else is also wrong with my cooling/blower

yuri said:
no power to your compressor? as in, no power so the whole thing doesnt do anything, or no power as in the middle part isnt spinning?
im going to check something else, because im beginning to have the idea something else is also wrong with my cooling/blower

i took the plastic cover off by removing the 3 bolts, then disconnected the 2 clips with wires going to them and tested the voltage on the main clip. you will see if you have a look, it measured 0 with it off and 0 with it on so it obviously isnt engaging the clutch, thus why i was asking the voltage so i can test it manually

Hi I seem to have a problem with my air con aswell I am just gonna have to keep track of whats going on here havent found the compressor yet might be a good idea to find that first then Ill try any suggestions made.

Bill

bill, the compressor is located on the left side right next to the engine. Its got a belt running to it, and (for me) has a sticker with some info that tells you its the aircon unit.

just to make it really easy for you i have circled it :)

ac.JPG

what kind of Marea is that? a petrol one?
and btw, i cant get to my compressor that easy, i have a JTD 105, so its kinda hidden undereath stuff (yay fiat!)

Hi seem to have got myself mixed up between yuri and bulldog realise now bulldogs is a petrol thuoght Id take a pic and see if it would show up here somewhere
Bill

Attachments

• DCP_0579.JPG
    DCP_0579.JPG
    873.9 KB · Views: 61
jup, thats it. i dont call that service handy :p

Back