Technical Aircon not working in higher heat

Currently reading:
Technical Aircon not working in higher heat

Rob99

Hi,

I have a 18 reg Tipo station wagon.

Yesterday it was 29C outside, the car had been sitting in the sun for a few hours and was like an oven when I got in. I drove for about 30mins but the aircon never got the slightest bit cool (normally its icy cold) and I had to open the windows after a while before I passed out!

This morning (at a more reasonable 22C) I tried it again and it was super cold within about a minute.

Is this a sign it needs regassing, or is there something else that may prevent it getting cold at higher temps? It's a second hand company car and as far as I'm aware hasn't been regassed from new (unless that was part of the standard services in the first 3 years).

Any insights appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi,

I have a 18 reg Tipo station wagon.

Yesterday it was 29C outside, the car had been sitting in the sun for a few hours and was like an oven when I got in. I drove for about 30mins but the aircon never got the slightest bit cool (normally its icy cold) and I had to open the windows after a while before I passed out!

This morning (at a more reasonable 22C) I tried it again and it was super cold within about a minute.

Is this a sign it needs regassing, or is there something else that may prevent it getting cold at higher temps? It's a second hand company car and as far as I'm aware hasn't been regassed from new (unless that was part of the standard services in the first 3 years).

Any insights appreciated.

Many thanks
It’s not regassed at three years as standard.If car was very hot inside and recycle button pressed it will take time to get the inside air cooler than outside air. The Fiat aircon on all of my three Fiats from new were never really icy cold. long time back I had a Ford Probe and the aircon would freeze the bottom part of the screen.

Thanks both. I tried both with the recirculation button on (for about 10mins) and off (for the rest of the time) to no avail, the air being blown out felt the same temp as in the car (or out the window with it off). It was a mix of 30 and 50mph roads, so perhaps more airflow needed. It normally is icy cold (to the point its uncomfortable if blowing straight at you at anything other than very low fan speeds) and was again this morning.

I'll keep an eye on it over the coming few hot days and see if it reoccurs.

Thanks.

Can you hear the cooling fan switching on with the AC when the car is stationary? That should provide the condenser with air flow at low speeds and when stationary. If it’s not running, it won’t work well in those conditions.

I have identical problems with my 2008 Doblo 1.3 JTD. Regassed the system, aircon works fine with outside temps below 25 degrees. With higher outside temps the magnetic compressor clutch don't get validated. The 4 way pressure switch and evaporator thermostat are responsible. Checked my 4 way pressure switch on resistance and is in open position (always with a pressure between 2.5 and 28 bars). So I suspect the thermostat to be faulty now and then. Can't find this as an replacement part either on Eper or aftermarked (change entire heating unit?). And the thermostat isn't easy to reach at all.

Back