General Airbag light on Mk1 punto

andyr

New member
Joined
May 8, 2002
Messages
75
Location
Ireland.
Hi I have the dreaded light on the dash permanently. I think it happened when I took the bulb out of the dash accidentally whilst I was checking out for blown bulbs behind the dash and had the IGN switch the the first notch (ign light on but engine not running) and then when I put the airbag light back in the dash it seems to be on permanently - is this because I removed the bulb or is this just coincidence and there is a fault with the airbag system somewhere?

To get it extinguished can any mechanic from any garage do it or does it have to be main dealers?

Cheers,

Andy.
 

faster4_tec

Burninator of threads!
Joined
Oct 22, 2004
Messages
4,242
Location
Sunderland and LakeDistri
unplug the batter for a few hours whilst making sure you've got the bulb in right. then reconnect and see what happens.

certainly worth a try. much better than paying £57+ vat just for fiat to 'see' it
 
Joined
Oct 4, 2006
Messages
1,593
Location
Scotland
As faster4_tec said try that if that dont work remove the bulb again then back in but this time though without having the key in the ignition...
 
OP
OP
andyr

andyr

New member
Joined
May 8, 2002
Messages
75
Location
Ireland.
faster4_tec said:
unplug the batter for a few hours whilst making sure you've got the bulb in right. then reconnect and see what happens.

certainly worth a try. much better than paying £57+ vat just for fiat to 'see' it

Thanks. I have tried that before keeping fingers crossed I left the battery disconnected overnight but unfortunately it didn't clear it. But thanks for the tip anyway.

Andy.
 
Joined
Oct 4, 2006
Messages
1,593
Location
Scotland
jug said:
airbag ecu needs to be reset.

If thats the case thats pretty s*** cant take a damn airbag bulb out without having a problem FIAT dont you just love them no wounder the whole new punto looks diffrent ect they must be minted by now.. :rolleyes:
 

faster4_tec

Burninator of threads!
Joined
Oct 22, 2004
Messages
4,242
Location
Sunderland and LakeDistri
I doubt fiat have the "inhouse" power/money to make their very own airbag system and test it and then manufacture it.

much more likely they just bought it off the shelf and bolted it in, just like ford, vaux/opel, shtty korean cars, etc
 

T14086

Forum Moderator
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
29,985
Location
Preston
Allied/TRW/Siemens are some of the airbag systems used by Fiat,like all cars the airbag warning light is a intergal part of the system,for instance if the airbag warning light circuit was faulty how would you know if another part of the system had a fault? answer...when you hit something!!
 
OP
OP
andyr

andyr

New member
Joined
May 8, 2002
Messages
75
Location
Ireland.
T14086 said:
Allied/TRW/Siemens are some of the airbag systems used by Fiat,like all cars the airbag warning light is a intergal part of the system,for instance if the airbag warning light circuit was faulty how would you know if another part of the system had a fault? answer...when you hit something!!

So, in other words just by removing the dash light you can trigger off a fault?
 

T14086

Forum Moderator
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
29,985
Location
Preston
ECU senses the warning light circuit is open circuit.Did you switch on the igntion with the bulb out?
 
OP
OP
andyr

andyr

New member
Joined
May 8, 2002
Messages
75
Location
Ireland.
T14086 said:
ECU senses the warning light circuit is open circuit.Did you switch on the igntion with the bulb out?

I cant remember for certain but its a very high possibility because I was checking other bulbs like the ignition bulb on the dash and swapping over bulbs.

Andy.
 

T14086

Forum Moderator
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
29,985
Location
Preston
If you do go to dealers ask them to check if ecu recall has been done,basically a plastic plate is inserted over the airbag ECU incase of water leakage from blown heater matrix.
 
OP
OP
andyr

andyr

New member
Joined
May 8, 2002
Messages
75
Location
Ireland.
T14086 said:
If you do go to dealers ask them to check if ecu recall has been done,basically a plastic plate is inserted over the airbag ECU incase of water leakage from blown heater matrix.

When I had the dash out to replace the Heater Matrix in the summer I didn't see any plastic cover over the airbag ECU.
 
OP
OP
andyr

andyr

New member
Joined
May 8, 2002
Messages
75
Location
Ireland.
T14086 said:
Worth asking about as airbag ECU's are expensive ;)

I think your right and I think I Will ask them. I wouldn't mind backing it up with an official recall note from the Fiat company - you wouldn't be able to point me in the right direction to download it anywhere could you please?

Andy.
 
OP
OP
andyr

andyr

New member
Joined
May 8, 2002
Messages
75
Location
Ireland.
T14086 said:
No harm in asking...also ask if they would quickly just put your airbag light for a tenner :D

Ah yes, the 'Old Ireland' way. The new way now is can you turn the light off for 80 Euro! ;)

Andy.
 
Top