Technical Airbag error (folding passenger seat)

Currently reading:
Technical Airbag error (folding passenger seat)

Jasper205

A while ago I've asked about this in another topic. Because the change of subject I decided to open a new topic

The problem is: I fitted a folding passenger seat which has no airbag while the original seat had an airbag. Obviously the airbag light comes on now and there seems to be no way to "disable" this particular airbag.

According to another forum member a 2,5ohm resistor would solve my problem. Unfortunately it did not.

Anybody any suggestions? I have the dutch MOT (APK) coming shortly so i must fix it now!

A while ago I've asked about this in another topic. Because the change of subject I decided to open a new topic

The problem is: I fitted a folding passenger seat which has no airbag while the original seat had an airbag. Obviously the airbag light comes on now and there seems to be no way to "disable" this particular airbag.

According to another forum member a 2,5ohm resistor would solve my problem. Unfortunately it did not.

Anybody any suggestions? I have the Dutch MOT (APK) coming shortly so i must fix it now!

When I've been scrolling through the (limited) options on the Menu, isn't there an option there to enable/disable the pax airbag?

Failing that, erm, take the lamp out or put a bit of black insulting tape over it (neatly cut of course :)

You say the seat has an airbag? Is this/are they on the sides like curtain ones but to protect from side-impact? Maybe the menu option I suggest above is for an airbag in the front dashboard..

R-V-M

Reading some things about seating simulators because the dash airbags wouldn't fire if there is no passenger... Does this apply to the qubo as well? The folding seat has no seating sensor as well....

When I've been scrolling through the (limited) options on the Menu, isn't there an option there to enable/disable the pax airbag?

Failing that, erm, take the lamp out or put a bit of black insulting tape over it (neatly cut of course :)

You say the seat has an airbag? Is this/are they on the sides like curtain ones but to protect from side-impact? Maybe the menu option I suggest above is for an airbag in the front dashboard..

R-V-M

Yes the original seat had a curtain airbag indeed, and the option in the menu is for the front airbag to safely carry a babyseat.... might disable the curtain as well but the light stays on!

Reading some things about seating simulators because the dash airbags wouldn't fire if there is no passenger... Does this apply to the qubo as well? The folding seat has no seating sensor as well....

Well you wouldn't want the pax bag going off if there's no pax! My pax seat belt warning used to bleep with shopping on the seat (fold-down seat in the Fiorino) - there's a whole other thread about that using seat belt clips, fusible links inserted into the connector etc. to make the unit think the seat belt is (always) fastened.

R-V-M

So if I have a passenger now, will the airbag work in case of a collision?

I daren't suggest trying it :eek: but can't you take the vehicle into the test station and ask them what's required for the test then ask also if they can test the circuitry or interrogate the OBD to see what is and isn't enabled? I think that's the safest way to ascertain the on or off-ness of the system..

R-V-M

The dealer couldn't help me... Refused to take responsibility, they're probably not allowed. They can only get in back in original state or it will be very expensive.
One thing is for sure: one missing or failing airbag won't disable the others.

I just need to know:
- what triggers airbag firing? Seat belt clip? Seating sensor? So i know what to do or get done
- any experience with for example recaro seats in a punto? somebody must have had a similar problem... How do you make the car think the airbag is still there?

The dealer couldn't help me... Refused to take responsibility, they're probably not allowed. They can only get in back in original state or it will be very expensive.
One thing is for sure: one missing or failing airbag won't disable the others.

I just need to know:
- what triggers airbag firing? Seat belt clip? Seating sensor? So i know what to do or get done
- any experience with for example recaro seats in a punto? somebody must have had a similar problem... How do you make the car think the airbag is still there?

Maybe since the seat doesn't have the facility then the absence of airbags (despite a light showing inactivity) shouldn't cause any issues with the test centre.

R-V-M

Back