Technical Airbag ECU Fault

Currently reading:
Technical Airbag ECU Fault

Simon2007

Hi All,

I have a recurring fault code on my airbag ECU: B0102-00 Connection to ECU Grounding Fault. I have cleared it previously and it has reappeared, but currently cleared and fingers crossed. It doesnt seem to be a common fault: anyone any experience? Crashdata are telling me it needs a replacement but I am not 100% convinced yet.

Many thanks!

If it persists, you might want to talk to Carl at Northern Auto Tech, as he mentions he can help with that particular code (see text in Ducato section here: )

Last edited:
If it persists, you might want to talk to Carl at Northern Auto Tech, as he mentions he can help with that particular code (see text in Ducato section here: )

Yes, spoken to them Hugh. Wasn't entirely reassured: they weren't to be drawn beyond 'probably' being able to fix it but remains an option. Certainly a cheap solution if it works!

The ECU is grounded through Pin1. On removal of mine (to go to Carl for the internal b0100-49 error) it was obvious that this particular pin had also been grounded to a nearby stud (must have been at the factory, 'cos mine was new with me).

Coincidentally, someone posted a TSB from Peugeot re: replacement of the same ECU on the Boxer, which recommends grounding the ECU body to (the same) nearby stud.

When I re-fitted my "repaired" unit, I also added this particular ground strap. It may not be relevant, but there is implicitly a grounding issue with these units. It might be useful to consider the same additional earth.

1677783208417.png

The ECU is grounded through Pin1. On removal of mine (to go to Carl for the internal b0100-49 error) it was obvious that this particular pin had also been grounded to a nearby stud (must have been at the factory, 'cos mine was new with me).

Coincidentally, someone posted a TSB from Peugeot re: replacement of the same ECU on the Boxer, which recommends grounding the ECU body to (the same) nearby stud.

When I re-fitted my "repaired" unit, I also added this particular ground strap. It may not be relevant, but there is implicitly a grounding issue with these units. It might be useful to consider the same additional earth.

View attachment 419559
Fault is staying cleared at the moment, but havent fitted the dash back yet - I think I will try this - cant do any harm can it!

I used the same connection on the ECU (with a star washer) but the grounding point was to the upper right of that picture (and off it). Any grounding studs available should be obvious, and, as I say, the loom coming from the grey connector already had a "break-out" wire separately grounded for pin1 (something I've not seen described or pictured elsewhere. I piggy-backed the same grounding point). (Picture taken before additional ground added)

1678109841197.png

I used the same connection on the ECU (with a star washer) but the grounding point was to the upper right of that picture (and off it). Any grounding studs available should be obvious, and, as I say, the loom coming from the grey connector already had a "break-out" wire separately grounded for pin1 (something I've not seen described or pictured elsewhere. I piggy-backed the same grounding point). (Picture taken before additional ground added)

View attachment 419763
How is pin 1 identified? Is there already a connection to it and the new earth just spliced to it?
I've not seen anything like it either.

It's best part of 6 months since I did it, and frankly I'm now hazy on the details. From memory, the additional ground looked like it was spliced on, but I didn't open the plug up to find out. The ground being at pin 1 is well documented on the web, and I think I found a pinout diagram somewhere (but again, it wasn't critical to me). The implication (given the pictures that are available of the connection, is that the originally-intended ground was through the loom on pin1, but that at least some units were factory modified to have the additional fly-lead). I still added the additional ground as per the Peugeot Boxer instructions.

I don't intend to go out and dismantle everything to check, since I have had no problems with the re-flashed unit since (let sleeping dogs lie ;) ).

Back