Technical Air bag warning light

Currently reading:
Technical Air bag warning light

My car has no yellow airbag wire from the steering clockspring down the column. I'm hoping Bred's gonna sell me his when he gets it out of his scrapper car, then at least I can work out what should be going on.

my warning light was on when i bought the car took it to Basingstoke FIAT dealer and £39.95 and the warning light was reset.
2 weeks later the light was back on!!!!
took it to FIAT again and £67.50 and the loom section was sorted and the refunded my original £40
for me it was a safety issue as i do about 350 miles a week and it'd be silly not to get it done, I'm skint as well but when it comes to safety cost ain't an issue

That was decent that they refunded you & very sensible advice Andy(y)

The problem was the connections between the loom and the passenger airbag inhibit switch.

More to it than that.

had mine reset by a non fiat, i fitted another airbag inhibit switch clean the conectors an all that, light still came back on after a while.
went to fiat dealer in norwich got the proper fix done and its been fine since a few years have passed now and its still off :)

i miss having the little red man with his ball to chat too though :(

Right, I've just had a fight with the steering column in the dark and here's a pic of where the other end of that yellow wire goes in.

It isn't a connector you can unplug, it's part of a plastic unit that fills the section seen. I've taken 4 bolts out of it and can't get it apart at all :(

Attachments

• DSCN2269.JPG
    DSCN2269.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
I've been PMing with Bred about buying the wire(s) from him that go from the clockspring down the steering column. He's struggling to get the wire out.

On my car the wire downwards from the clockspring is missing. I can see a yellow wire tucked away but cannot for the life of me find a wire with a loose end that connects the clockspring into the car system.

:bang:

Last edited:
I duno what the wires are for. Whitesei just said he wants a yellow one because his is missing. That yellow wire is made of 6 smaller wires and can only run up from where it is in that picture up into the clockspring. There is nowhere else it could go to

My airbag light was on then the horn packed up so I fitted a new clockspring only to find the airbag wire from the clockspring that should go down the steering column is missing. The horn wire is fine but the AB wire isnt there. I now know why the AB light is on but I cant find the wire to connect it all together.

Bredsticz is breaking a Punto and I was hoping to buy the appropriate wire from him but what he's found doesnt add up.

BTW mine is an HGT.

From what I remember, the clockspring connection is a 2-pin plug at the top, next to the horn connector. Later cars normally use a 6 or 8 pin multiplug in the bottom of the clockspring, but I don't remember the mk2/2b having it.

Wherever it is, it's part of the dash harness, so it can't be far.

Pic?

Last edited:
I replaced the clockspring (CS) and found only the wire connecting the horn loom into the CS. There was no wire to be seen anywhere for connecting the airbag loom into the CS.

The airbag itself is connected to the new CS but at the car system side of the CS I cant find an airbag wire. Believe me Ive looked and poked, use mirrors and nothing to be seen. I was hoping to get a new cable and run it down to whatever it connects to.

I'm assuming the yellow wire are the airbag system but pretty much clutching at straws on this.

Edit
Tomorrow I'll get a pic of the old clockspring. From memory its not the same as Bred's pic.

Last edited:
I'll see if Ive got my old CS in the boot but its too dark now. I'll look in the daylight. Thanks for being so helpful.

D

Yep, clockspring plug from the dash harness goes into one of the connectors on the lefthand side (in that clockspring pic). It'll either be in a yellow sleeve, or have a piece of yellow tape at the plug.

Thanks Danny :) That will be the wire I cant find. I'll whip the wheel off this weekend and have a good look. Does the yellow wire go into the dash wiring harness or does it run alone?

I mean - is it or should it be easy to find, because last time I looked all over and found nothing that could connect from the dash area to the clockspring.

It's definitely in the main branch from the dash loom as when removing the dash you have to disconnect the airbag ECU, so I know it's part of the harness secured to the dash.

Thanks Dan. I'll get the mirror and torch on the case.

Who's betting it will actually put the warning light off. :eek:

Back