Technical Air bag indicator light

Currently reading:
Technical Air bag indicator light

Romeo

Hi, the red light for the passenger air bag stays on with either the air bag switched on or off with the key under the glove box. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they fix it please.

I took my multipla to the dealers with same red air bag warning light on after it became obvious theres nothing you can do about it without the fiat diagnostic computer. They reset the ecu/airbag warning for £35 and told me there was no actual fault recorded on the ecu as ,"it was just one of those fiat electronic glitches" . But 200 miles later driving down the motorway on it came again. In the dealers again for the same underseat conection , ecu , belt pre tensioner and airbag control module checks . Again nothing showed up on the diagnostic so it was reset again. Then 700 miles later it came on again , that was 12 months & 22000 miles ago and its still on to this day , i just wish the rest of the dash illumination bulbs lasted as long as the one in the warning light, im just sick of throwing good money after bad trying to fix a problem the dealers havent got a clue about. When they tried to fix the car originally i did ask if the light being on meant the air bags would not deploy in an accident but was assured ,because there was no fault showing on the diagnostic ,they would (this coming from a fiat dealer i took with a pinch of salt). The only niggling problems ive had with this car in the 60000 mile ive had it (total miles 82000) have all been electric related, airbag light, ecu reset , air mass sensor, oil level sensor,dash bulbs blowing every 6 months etc etc etc . Italians & electronics dont mix im sure if the multipla was a japanease car it would be pretty fault free but it isnt and its not.

I took my multipla to the dealers with same red air bag warning light on after it became obvious theres nothing you can do about it without the fiat diagnostic computer. They reset the ecu/airbag warning for £35 and told me there was no actual fault recorded on the ecu as ,"it was just one of those fiat electronic glitches" .

Thats rubbish,there are 3 main areas of airbag fault in the multipla.If your garage cant tell then take it to another & ask for a printout.

Fiats dealership service is renouned for being crap and im sick of throwing good money after bad with no result so im just going to run the car as is.

I agree, dont ever use the dealers for anything, forget the over pricing (£70 for a £12 fan belt, £250 for a £70 fuel injector) they just dont know what their doing there knowledge is limited to turning on a computer,

"is there a problem with my car"
"computer says no"

dosnt matter that it wont start.(n)

As for talking to the service manager Id get more response from a chewed leather glove. :bang:(n):cry:

Dont get me wrong here if the Mechanic had said that the safety of any passenger was in doubt due to the warning light on i would have spent even more money having it looked at , at yet another dealer or independent but like i say i was told on two sepperate occations the system will deploy normally in an accident. But i dont think im being too unfair saying "dealers are renouned for being crap, with all due respect the fiat dealership year in and year out gets a (and i quote) "very low score for customer satisfaction" in the JD power survey .Fiat dealerships dont get continually low satisfaction scores for being good at dealing with owners car problems or their subsiquent complaints . I know there are many dealers that know exactly what there doing and go that extra mile for there customers but there are also too many who dont live up to expectations , or it just me who thinks this way due to my own experiences and expectations. Dont get me wrong im not knocking the cars , my multipla has been a great car and workhorse , a dam site better than my freelander (£5000 for engines in 3yrs and 60000 mls due to 1.8 cylinder liner design fault).

'gazza' I can understand what you are saying & one of Fiats main objectives for next year and beyond is to raise the level of techs,customer care/satisfaction and to take a big leap up that JD power survey ladder.

Mind you why would a good tech work with Fiat? The product is getting so much better which is great but that back up from Fiat often lets the side down and with all due respect to yourself & everyone else here the customer also as a role to play here.End of the day the majority of the Fiat range is well shall we call it 'budget',value for money cars,mass produced for the masses etc...due to sheer numbers produced their will be a larger percentage of 'rogue' cars by probability.

The cars are made elsewhere,shipped here & any faults are left to the dealer to pick up...often at the expense of angry customers.Yes alot of faults are 'caught' at PDI stage but (as a example) its the dealers that get te wrath of the customer when they cant open the drivers door of their one week old grande punto!

Anyway I'm going off topic here! the garages are now under scrutiny,their performance is being closely monitored,unannounced visits,incentives to get it right are also underway.As for technicians,mandatory training is now essential,there is not 'get outs'...get trained up or your out.There will always be bad garages or should I say one or two bad members of staff which give the garage a bad name but there are many good ones who despite beng really against it at times are really trying their best.

A suggestion for you,speak to service manager & explain the situation,request the dealer DET looks at your car & talks to you/provides you with a report.Open a case with Fiat customer services who will contact the dealer for progress on your vehicle.On the other hand faults can be difficult to trace or intermittent but its to the advantage of you (the customer who needs his/her faith restored) and the garage (to retain its customers) to resolve this.

An airbag is a safety system and as such demands top priority from both parties,good luck & let us know how you get on.If your still having problems afterwards let us know(y)

Last edited:
Back