Technical Advice pls! Timing belt, brakes, starter

Currently reading:
Technical Advice pls! Timing belt, brakes, starter

Jsmeypdx

Hi all!
First post for my 79 124/2000 w/ manual trans and no smog equip.

Question 1-
How do I get the stupid timing belt tight? I got it on there got it on the correct direction as per the directions. So I can't seem to take the slack out of it. The tensioner just doesn't seem to bring it tight enough I know it sounds like a personal problem but damn it!

Quest 2-
I'm replacing the starter. Yes I know...fun fun...and suggestions etc?

Quest 3+
Replacing rear brake pads. I do get that the caliper screws is a small amount...but it barely moved..

Help!!!!

Thanks for in advance for any help!

Hi all!
First post for my 79 124/2000 w/ manual trans and no smog equip.

Question 1-
How do I get the stupid timing belt tight? I got it on there got it on the correct direction as per the directions. So I can't seem to take the slack out of it. The tensioner just doesn't seem to bring it tight enough I know it sounds like a personal problem but damn it!

Quest 2-
I'm replacing the starter. Yes I know...fun fun...and suggestions etc?

Quest 3+
Replacing rear brake pads. I do get that the caliper screws is a small amount...but it barely moved..

Help!!!!

Thanks for in advance for any help!
1a) Is the tensioner sprung loaded? If so on the older Fiat twin cams then you let the spring set the belt tension, gently rotate the engine with no spark plugs in, check the belt is not slack and the tighten the tension pulley back up. These tension pulley are NOT sprung loaded during operation like more modern ones and have to be locked down.

1b) If the tensioner is not at it's limit and is sprung loaded then the spring is wear or broken and you will have to add additional force.

1c) If the tensioner is at it's limit of travel then the belt is too large. Count the teeth on the old belt you took off and on the new belt

2) Disconnect the battery. When putting the alternator back it is often better and easier to attach all the leads before the final mounting. Support the alternator near to it's mounting, twist to gain easy access to connections, fit wires and then straighten up and bolt in place

3) Take the calliper screws out so the calliper is free of the hub.

Well, there's a bit of nostalgia. Had to dust off the Mirafiori Haynes manual to remind myself of the layout, as the last ime I did one of these was around 1993 on the Argenta.

Tensioner should be spring loaded. I think the 2.0 was a taller engine, so had a longer belt, so I'd expect a problem like this if a 2.0 belt was placed on a 1.6 engine, but can't think of any reason why there'd be a belt longer than the normal 2.0. As S130 says, count the teeth.

Further thoughts: The twin cam engine lived on for some years, in Lancias (with balancer shafts) and in the Croma. My guess is you've been supplied a belt for a later engine, perhaps even an Alfa twinspark, if compatible, so a tooth count is the first action.

Back