Technical Advice needed re cleaning throttle body

Currently reading:
Technical Advice needed re cleaning throttle body

BillyBrava

Hello everyone. I stumbled across the forum while searching for parts suppliers. Glad I did, I'm amazed by the level of knowledge being passed around. Perhaps you can help a noobie.

I was having idling problems with my Brava 1.2 16V, which appear to have been solved by replacing the idle speed actuator (and doing the ecu reset sequence mentioned by Jug).

Also thought I'd clean the throttle body and the oil vapour recirculating pipes while I was at it, but I'm put off by the snazzy clips securing the hoses. They look like they need some special tool that I don't have to get them off and on. Can they be done and undone with ordinary pliers or similar? If I can't get them back on is it OK to use ordinary jubilee clips instead?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (polite ones, that is).

Billy

there is a special tool for these clips, called "hose clip pliers". any motor factor will sell them for under £5.

you can do it without hose clip pliers but its fiddly. use a small flat blade screwdriver to prise them open, then some normal pliers to force them shut again. shutting them is the tricky part, so hose clip pliers are recommended.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. Looking around the engine, there seem to be a lot of this type of clip, so maybe the pliers are a good investment. Another trip to the motor factors then.....

Back