General Advice needed for paint chips please

Currently reading:
General Advice needed for paint chips please

heggypatt

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and have just bought myself a 500 which I absolutely love but noticed there were a few very small paint chips on it. I tried to cover them up myself with some white paint but didn't quite work as the colour was a bit off. You can barely notice it but it's still bothering me. I've now purchased the exact colour of paint on ebay that hopefully will help. Does anyone have any advice on how to apply this in the best way?

Thanks.

Does anyone have any advice on how to apply this in the best way?

First of all, forget about using the brush that's built into the touch up bottle; it's far too crude to enable you to get a good result.

Go out and buy a good quality camel hair paintbrush from an artist's supply shop and use that instead; it'll make it much easier to get a good finish. Clean the brush immediately after use in cellulose thinners. You can buy this in small quantities from most model shops if you don't need a large can.

After that, it's down to having the patience to apply small amounts of paint at a time; expect to apply several coats, and do not try to cover up a stone chip in a single application.

If you inadvertently apply too much paint and it creates a raised area around the chip, remove the excess just before the paint is fully dry - a wooden coffee stirring stick works well for this. You might also find a cotton bud is useful if you need to remove paint that's still wet.

When you're happy with the final result, protect your work by applying a clear lacquer so that it just overlaps the chipped area.

With care, and with the right paint, the repair should be almost invisible. You might want to practice on an old piece of metal first.

Last edited:
I use a cocktail stick to apply the colour, the point delivers a teeny tiny amount of paint, it takes a little longer but is more precise. A guy from a body ship told me this was the best way and it certainly works well.

Back