Technical additional spotlights

Currently reading:
Technical additional spotlights

davehob

Hi Guys and Gals

I looking to put spotlights on my 61 500 Twinair.

Can I wire them into the full beam on the light stalk?

If so do I need to upgrade fuses and or relays.

Thanks Dave.

Given how little main beam is used it might not be a good idea to wire them via a this method.
If you really want you must use a relay switched via the main beam feed using a dedicated new relay feed.
:yeahthat:
It's a CANBUS car and will throw error messages if it detects any significant change in current in one of the lighting circuits. Even fitting marginally-specc'd bulbs has been known to cause issues.

Last edited:
I fitted bonnet mounted driving lamps to the R50 Mini Cooper I had about 10 years ago. I used the following wiring arrangement:
The main beam supply to one of the headlamps was tapped off and routed to drive the coil of a normally-open relay.
One side of the relay contacts was routed to the battery positive, via an in-line fuse (think I used 20A).
The other side of the relay contacts was routed to the additional lamps.
This method worked well and no bus errors appeared, albeit on a 2004 car. Don't see why it shouldn't work on a 500 though.
Have you sourced lamps and mounting brackets? Lots of aftermarket stuff was available for the Mini, not so much around for the 500.
Remember there are lighting regs for the positioning of driving lamps.

I want to fit spotties to mine but the only thing stopping me is how and where to fit mounting brackets (first find your mounting brackets!). I know I can get a number-plate mount but I don't want the lights so close together. For aesthetic reasons I also don't want LED lamps - a couple of 5" stainless lamps made for the Mini would be ideal I think. The same wiring circuit as Trev describes above - by law here the relay control must come from the high beam so any such lights go off when using low beam. If that all works the only problem would be finding an inconspicuous but visible location for the switch.

Last edited:
Back