Technical Adding MP3 to my ICE - built in headunit

Currently reading:
Technical Adding MP3 to my ICE - built in headunit

Hi,

I've got a 54 reg Stilo JTD with integrated radio/CD player and steering wheel controls.
I want to buy a generic HDD based MP3 player - like Ipod etc.
What's the best way to integrate it. I have a friend who uses a gadget that transmits the signal via FM and she tunes the car radio into it but a) can't find them, and b) I'm sure you lose heaps of quality.

Does my stereo have aux input? Can't find anything in the manual. It does allow addition of a CD changer but not sure how that would be useful.

Thanks!

Morgan

moogs said:
Hi,

I've got a 54 reg Stilo JTD with integrated radio/CD player and steering wheel controls.
I want to buy a generic HDD based MP3 player - like Ipod etc.
What's the best way to integrate it. I have a friend who uses a gadget that transmits the signal via FM and she tunes the car radio into it but a) can't find them, and b) I'm sure you lose heaps of quality.

Does my stereo have aux input? Can't find anything in the manual. It does allow addition of a CD changer but not sure how that would be useful.

Thanks!

Morgan

I have an MP3 player with FM transmitter, and it works great, no signal loss.

It's iRiver.(y)

if its a generic 3.5mm then the denison thing wont work as it only works for ipods.

the blaupunkt lead does'nt work (well for my stilo, cd radio) - got one last week and being trying to get it to work but cannot. - if anyone else knows anything, i wouldnt mind knowing also.

Blocks to it!
Bought a cheap FM transmitter off of Ebay and it's proper cack.
The 5VDC from cig lighter input only works at a certain angle so I thought might as well hard wire it. Took it apart and did so only to find that the voltage regulator can't be bothered to play any more.

Last time I buy chinese pap off the bay. Need to wire directly into the headunit somehow. Can't believe there's no way - I could use one of those tape adapters if only I didn't have a CD player... no tape...

Where would the connector for the CD changer be - in the car I mean?
I don't even know where the CD changer is supposed to go. The manual with the car stereo tells me to go and speak to a dealer.

Meh.

Well, now looking at possibly getting a proper FM modulator - Maplin do one for £30 that looks a bit more solid and actually sits between aerial and stereo which feels more direct.
It doesn't cut out the radio though even when it's switched on - might be worth wiring in a relay to chop the aerial signal when using MP3 - especially since the thing operates on 88.7 or 89.1

The radio two jingle springs to mind - "88 to 91 FM, radio twooooo"

Failing that, some guy is gonna give his supplier a ring and see if they have a CD changer plug type adapter thing.

Hope to sort it soon - my Philips 20gig mp3 arrived today and it's well smart - reconditioned with 1 yr warranty from microdirect - £110 delivered... making it way cheaper than an ipod, not to mention less Apple fanboy.

i have the fm modulator your talking about moogs and you dont have to do any thing with it you dnt get any intaferance

Dammit!
So I bought the £30 FM modulator from Maplin and it's a nice chunky and satisfyingly heavy thing. Job looks like being a good un.

Of course when I take the big old Visteon factory fit stereo out it's only got the wrong aerial connector - a little right angled ISO type, not the traditional banana type :(

Maplin do some convertors (more signal losses) and have 2000+ in stock of one type, but 0 stock of the other... and of course I need both.

:bang:

Moogs,

Whilst this won't help you with the above, I have a 4th generation iPod (20GB) fitted with a Griffin radio transmitter (called an iTrip). In short its crap and I don't use it - the sound quality is poor. For best reception, you need to transmit on an empty frequency, and there are very few....

I also don't think you can use it with the latest iPods as you connect the iTrip into a connection on top of the 4G iPods. I believe the latest iPods don't have this connection.

They are illegal, but so what.....

Maybery

Back