Adding an amp to power aftermarket speakers

Currently reading:
Adding an amp to power aftermarket speakers

Ceriffwrdd

Hiya,

Most of the threads i have looked at seem to be related to fitting a Sub.. I don't want to do this.. however.. i had two damaged front speakers when i bought the car (2001 Marea Weekend with cassette deck and 6 cd changer) So i have upgraded the front speakers (in the doors) to better 5 x 7"s sadly, i am now getting distortion from them being under powered by the output from the factory system.

I don't want to change the head unit, it's a great unit and looks nice and clean in the dash, plus i love playing old mix tapes that mates made me back in the 80's so keeping a cassette player is essential.

I have a really nice kenwood 4 channel amplifier that matches the spec of the speakers (i plan to upgrade the rears too)

I am guessing that from the plug end i could either splice the amp into the circuit (either using high level inputs directly, or by using a "step down" filter to take it back to a low input) and use the original wiring or just take outputs from the plug into the amp and run new speaker wire to the speakers.

I am wondering if the second option would be better as the factory wiring probably goes through a few connector plugs on it's journey to the speakers.

What does everyone think?

cheers!

If it was me (and it has been a couple of times now!) I'd run all new cables from the amp t the speakers and leave the OE wiring alone.

I think i am inclined to agree. Just take the output feed from the plug then re run everything from amp on.. i have a nice reel of good quality OFC here too. Should be nice. :)

Back