Technical ACEA C3 oil - Is this strictly necessary?

Currently reading:
Technical ACEA C3 oil - Is this strictly necessary?

rockyrobin

Hi,
I've been mulling over the idea of doing an oil change, but i've noticed this ACEA C3 spec for the oil is limiting my choice of oil!
My Panda is a 1.2 8v (69) petrol with 100k on the clock - would it make any difference to use the more common ACEA A3/B4 5w/30 oils?
I can nearly halve the price of the oil if so! :)
Would be grateful to hear you guys experiences and thoughts.
Many thanks.....

Hi,
I've been mulling over the idea of doing an oil change, but i've noticed this ACEA C3 spec for the oil is limiting my choice of oil!
My Panda is a 1.2 8v (69) petrol with 100k on the clock - would it make any difference to use the more common ACEA A3/B4 5w/30 oils?
I can nearly halve the price of the oil if so! :)
Would be grateful to hear you guys experiences and thoughts.
Many thanks.....
Hi rockrobin. Don't skimp where oil or filters are concerned. For your engine Fiat recommend 10w40 Just recently ASDA was doing a good deal on oils and for the spec you need it was only £16.00 for 5Ltrs I know this because I bought some for my car. However everything is going up as you're no doubt aware so you might not see it for that price now.
Do some research on line and you can get some good deals. If you can buy it in 5Ltr cans you will get near enough two oil changes out of it as your engine doesn't hold that much oil.

Attachments

• 20220922_180236.jpg
    20220922_180236.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • 20220922_180332.jpg
    20220922_180332.jpg
    914.2 KB · Views: 39
Ensure it is the right grade is most important (or close enough at least).

10w40 is a very common viscosity. I don't even look at the specs as long as it suitable for a petrol car (if a petrol engine of course). Cheap and often is what I do with oil changes.

I tend to spend a bit more on gearbox oil though as that doesn't get changed as frequently.

SAE 5W-40 ACEA C3

In the owners manuals I have read
Be good to see what’s in the early 500 owner manual as they have always had the 69hp engine

The VVT runs off the oil and goes through a fine filter on the solenoid
The older 60HP aren’t fussy and will run on virtually any oil

Too far out on the VVT and the engine light pops on when cruising on the motorway. I am not sure how far you can push. But I have pushed it too far occasionally.

I put any 5/40 ish that’s cheap. But there again I only payed £300 for the car

Thanks everyone for your advice/comments.
I've been reading every forum that has posts on this and it's been like trying to digest a torrent of fake news!
My gut tells me that it would probably be fine to use the A3/B4 stuff but i'm chickening out and popping some C3 in for now.
I do wonder how many of those other cars with VVT and a Catalyst are using A3/B4 oil though..........

I suspect you are right

Although C3 should extend the service interval

My gut is tell me it’s more so garages don’t have to stock loads of different oils

SAE 5W-40 ACEA C3 is one of the most common oil for cars with extended service interval regardless of whether they are petrol or diesel I don’t understand why it’s sold at a premium price

For your engine Fiat recommend 10w40
No, they don't.

Fiat have specified a 5W40 C3 oil for the 1.2 at least since the introduction of the £30RFL eco engines in 2009.

As @koalar has said, for the earlier 60HP 1.2 I'd be happy to use a 10W40 A3, but for the 69HP, I'd stick with the recommendation so as to ensure correct VVT operation.

No, they don't.

Fiat have specified a 5W40 C3 oil for the 1.2 at least since the introduction of the £30RFL eco engines in 2009.

As @koalar has said, for the earlier 60HP 1.2 I'd be happy to use a 10W40 A3, but for the 69HP, I'd stick with the recommendation so as to ensure correct VVT operation.
Sorry my mistake I've re read the original post and its a 69hp engine I thought it was a 60

Back