Technical Accuracy of MPG readout

Currently reading:
Technical Accuracy of MPG readout

Mine ('02 115 JTD) will reset on the move, no need to be stationary.

I don't bother with the MPG readout any more, I prefer the 'Range' function.
It reflects the MPG you're getting better than the MPG readout.

I also don't fill right up any more, I only put around 20-25litres in from empty.
Not so much weight to lug around, and it's sods-law that if you've just filled it right up to the brim at £1.40+/lt, you'll see a garage with diesel at £1.35 a few miles later :bang:

Have my bug a week now and have clocked up about 400 miles
Trip computer is average at 34 fir that distance
Today I had to go got a bit of a spin so I drove real handy, 120 miles later at an average of 40.5 according to trip computer. What that us in real terns I don't know until I fill it up again.
It's a 03 diesel 115 ugly bug

Ill clean out the egr one of he days and I'll try it with the maf disconnected to see if I can get better results
Loving this car do far!!!
Marty.

Ok have done my first brim to brim on 03 115 jtd
610 miles required 63.13 litres by my calculations that's 43.86 mpg. Trip computer read 35.1, and the best trip I managed on the B trip was around 42 all motorway at 55/60 Mph

I was getting the "fuel required" warning on the computer.

Marty.

The readout is in US gallons. You need to multiply by 1.2 to get to UK mpg. So 35.1 = 42.12 which is close enough to your actual figure. It is never going to be 100%.

Are all multis reading in US gallons?
Its only after a 140 mile run yesterday the commputer was showing 50.2mpg which is excellent....no way could it be 60.4mpg!! Round town its showing 39-40mpg aswell....
I must of have a multi that slipped through the net and actually works correctly!

Are all multis reading in US gallons?
Its only after a 140 mile run yesterday the commputer was showing 50.2mpg which is excellent....no way could it be 60.4mpg!! Round town its showing 39-40mpg aswell....
I must of have a multi that slipped through the net and actually works correctly!

It could be. I don't know if mine reads in US gallons or not (generally shows low 40's) but when I make an effort it goes higher - here it is with an average of 72mpg, which is 86.4mpg if it's using US gallons here.

5862908043_d0b07c7665.jpg

I managed to get my 110 JTD readout upto 55.3 mpg on one tank full of the advanced diesel, it was only a fraction optimistic compared to the calculated at 53. I was driving pretty gently deliberately just to see how high I could get it, but not holding up the traffic. With normal diesel I can easily get the readout to high 40's and occasionally low 50's, and again it's only a fraction optimistic. They're such good fun to drive 'briskly' though it takes quite a lot of moral fibre to be gentle for a whole tankful. Most of my journeys are on fairly free flowing B roads and a steady 56 mph is typical.

If it helps, Myrtle just completed a run to Devon and back from Kent. Overall figures for that tankful 584.5 miles, used 58.69litres = 9.959 miles/litre. Multiply by 4.54 aprox for gallons = 45.2mpg. Computer said 37.8mpg - x 1.2 for uk conversion= 45.36mpg. Pretty close?

Out of interest, using Trip B, on the way down, driving very carefully, trip showed 40.9mpg over all. X 1.2 = 49 mpg ! Very pleased!

Panda

I just bought a 2002 1.2l punto 8v active 100k on the clock.. my readout says im getting between 45 and 49 mpg... pretty good I reckon. Hopefully it is reading US gallons instead of imperial :)

Ours reads between 37 and 40 mpg, but I have reckoned to 47mpg as an average, in all honesty. It's a brilliant car to drive barring the nightmare clutch problems..

This may have been mentioned before but couldn't be bothered trawling through the string from 2005! OK easy solution.... Set the distance to metric (km) and the consumption will auto set to litres per 100 km.... No ambiguity there. Then say 5.5 l/100km=approx 51mpg .... 6= 47.5mpg etc..... Go to a converter website as I did and write a little table to stick in the sun visor.... OK all the milage is in km but the consumption ...which is all I am concerned about, is correct... Whatdoyathink?

All this is about diesel is petrol converted in the same way might be a stupid question but was wondering as I get80 miles to a tenner in my petrol one

That's bloody good economy. Based on petrol at say £1.40 / litre that would give mpg of approx 51... That's very good for a petrol multi. Infact it's very good for a diesel multi. Our diesel was 47.9 over 1500 miles

It can't be better than a diesel I put 20 quid and get 125 miles and petrol is 135.9 fuel save from shell

Greetings to Multi forumists from the originator of this thread.

thousands of views, hundreds of responses.

I'm (well, Mrs Disgusted really) still driving our diesel Multi.

2001 model, 172k miles, owned from new. Going well, looking a bit "worn".

Recent return trip Kent to Leeds overall 44mpg shown. Suits me - lots more economical than my Alfa 166 V6...

Just thought I'd add to this thread. I've had my 115jtd for 9 months now. So far the readout is telling me I'm getting 39-40mpg. However, I've done two brim to brim checks and got 46mpg both times. A tank full is lasting two weeks - better than my old Mondeo TDCI 130:slayer:

Back