General Accelerator Cable Snapped!

Currently reading:
General Accelerator Cable Snapped!

TommoW

So other day I dropped this lass off that I'd took out, and just as I was about to set off home, the cable snapped, a friend of mine had a look and confirmed this for me, so on Saturday I headed to Fiat and ordered a new one (£37) To get the car home I had to take my laces out of my shoes and pull the throttled manualy through the window, god I got a load of dodgy stares haha. I have a 99 Fiat Bravo 80SX

My mate agreed to help me fit the new cable on Wednesday, since I'll be off college, is there a tutorial, or can anyone give us any tips on how to fit one of these? My friend has a decent idea but we'd like some more information.

Also can someone clear something up for me. Is the clutch hydraulic on these?

Forgive me for my ignorance, I'm only just starting out on the whole mechanic and fixing my car, and info on these cars seems pretty vacant around google, and I'm yet to afford a Haynes.

Thanks
Tommy :)

Last edited:
So other day I dropped this lass off that I'd took out, and just as I was about to set off home, the cable snapped, a friend of mine had a look and confirmed this for me, so on Saturday I headed to Fiat and ordered a new one (£37) To get the car home I had to take my laces out of my shoes and pull the throttled manualy through the window, god I got a load of dodgy stares haha. I have a 99 Fiat Bravo 80SX

My mate agreed to help me fit the new cable on Wednesday, since I'll be off college, is there a tutorial, or can anyone give us any tips on how to fit one of these? My friend has a decent idea but we'd like some more information.

Also can someone clear something up for me. Is the clutch hydraulic on these?

Forgive me for my ignorance, I'm only just starting out on the whole mechanic and fixing my car, and info on these cars seems pretty vacant around google, and I'm yet to afford a Haynes.

Thanks
Tommy :)

10/10 for driving with the shoelaces, i wonder if its completely snapped or if what happened to mine, - the pedal just had no tension/use follwed it along and the pedal went to a sort of square grommit, where the cable attached, really fiddly but worth checking, other then that i cant help

Just thought id say that i had the same problem about a month ago, and i had to push my car home( well 3 of my mates did!) lol. the next day i fixed the snapped cable, but yesturday i found a problem with it. if i accelerate fully, the accelerator gets stuck on full! it was quite an interesting experience as i was in second gear, with the revs bouncing off the limiter, and i was heading straight for a roundabout. i just dumped the clutch and cut the engine out. it happened twice!

i realised that the cable hadnt been greased enoughi think. I greased it and now it "seems" to be okay.

Just thought id say that i had the same problem about a month ago, and i had to push my car home( well 3 of my mates did!) lol. the next day i fixed the snapped cable, but yesturday i found a problem with it. if i accelerate fully, the accelerator gets stuck on full! it was quite an interesting experience as i was in second gear, with the revs bouncing off the limiter, and i was heading straight for a roundabout. i just dumped the clutch and cut the engine out. it happened twice!

i realised that the cable hadnt been greased enoughi think. I greased it and now it "seems" to be okay.

Check your engine earth cable urgently.

Cheers

SPD

Back