Technical AC not working

Currently reading:
Technical AC not working

iansamp

Wonder if any more ideas in the forums I am still having trouble with the air conditioning in my 2008 Ducato Maxi JTD2.8. The air flow through the air vents is not very powerful even when selecting full speed and face vents only. I have removed the bottom part of the dash and looked for a pollen filter but can't find one, all the controls seem to work and the air does work through all the vents when turning the control through all positions. I have removed the vent under the windscreen and can see the the vent flap in the air intake works when the control is moved from left to right. It may well be that this is just how it is but the noise the fan makes I would expect a much better flow of air through the vents.
The other problem which may well be associated is there is hot air when the heater is on but no cold air when the AC switch is on, when pressed the AC switch lights up and the compressor cuts in as it should but the air coming out of the vents is not chilled. The compressor is definitely working and the high and low pressure pipes from the back of the compressor both get hot after a while. The wiring has not been tampered with so I assume there must be gas in the system for the compressor to cut in.
Another thing that is unusual is when I press the AC switch the compressor works but the cooling fan does not come on, maybe it is only meant to come on when the condenser gets hot but on most vehicles when the compressor clutch engages at least one fan comes on even if only at low speed.
If any one can shed some light on my problem it would be much appreciated.:confused:

Last edited:
In ref to pollen filter, search on this forum "x250 100 multijet pollen filter" on that thread there is a diagram of exactly where it's located and how to change (same on all x250's)

Does the fan speed increase as it should through position 1.2.3,4?
Common prob that the block wiring connector under lower left side of central glove box into motor, has a bad earth connector (terminals open up thru vibration) which results in fan speed or fan not working except on highest position.

Still believe your best solution is to have the A/C Regassed!
Should be done each year really,
and as previously mentioned, it will show any leaks through the infra red dye in the gas

Common issue with A/C is folk dont use it through winter, and the seals perish and gas escapes

Well worth £40-50 to have checked properly in my view

in ref to pollen filter, search on this forum "x250 100 multijet pollen filter" on that thread there is a diagram of exactly where it's located and how to change (same on all x250's)

does the fan speed increase as it should through position 1.2.3,4?
Common prob that the block wiring connector under lower left side of central glove box into motor, has a bad earth connector (terminals open up thru vibration) which results in fan speed or fan not working except on highest position.

Still believe your best solution is to have the a/c regassed!
Should be done each year really,
and as previously mentioned, it will show any leaks through the infra red dye in the gas

common issue with a/c is folk dont use it through winter, and the seals perish and gas escapes

well worth £40-50 to have checked properly in my view
thanks again for your reply

All of the fan speeds work as they should, there is gas in the system and the compressor cuts in as soon as the AC switch is connected. I will get the gas checked but I am in a remote part of Australia at the moment and there are no AC regas stations so I will have to wait till I can get to workshop. It is very hot where I am and would like to have got it working. Thanks for the link to the pollen filter I am hoping that will be the problem with the poor air flow at least.
Cheers Ian

Back again just checked the link and my dash is different.The one pictured has a centre glove box and mine has the glove box to the left. In the center is the lower part of the dash center panel and the ash tray. I can remove the outer skin of the ash tray pane but there is another panel behind it that is part of the whole dash so not sure if the pollen filter is behind it. Looks like I will ust have to wait until I can get to a Fiat dealer.

Ah, just noticed you say it's a 2008 build, which should be an X250 2006 on, but 2.8jtd is the up to 2006 earlier model. So all I've said will be incorrect,

On searching the earlier model, I see some posts saying Aussie vans have air con but no pollen filter, then I see some posts saying its under skittle grill (bottom of windscreen) then others saying its located on top if heater blower unit and is a 6 hour dash out job!!

Thanks Rolopolo
Typical for Australia we get all the odd stuff over here this van is built 2007 but first reg'd here in 2008, from your list of options I would bet mine will be the 6 hour dash out job. What manufacturer in there right mind would send a vehicle to a dusty place like Australia with a pollen filter tucked up inside the dash!!! I note in the hand book it says if the pollen filter needs replacing take it to the dealer. Pretty sad for an item that would need regular service in a dusty environment good on ya Fiat. Thanks for all your input rolopolo looks like I will have to put all the lower panels back and just sweat it out. Ian

This maybe worth a look.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,040
Thanks for the diagrams Chris I have seen these and my van does not appear to have the same system plus my glove box is on the left, Cheers Ian

Hi. I can’t quite make out if the diagram shows a centre glove box, it is a left hand drive vehicle in the diagram with the box on the right passenger side, so on the left on your vehicle.

From what little I know not all the x250’s had a pollen filter but your description of the problem seems to point to a blocked pollen filter, that is the fan is working but poor air flow.

I think in your position I would take the glove box out just to be sure after all it’s only a few screws then you will know for definite.

The only other experience I have is on a fiat car, the pollen filter on that was in the driver’s foot well at the back of the heater to the left of the clutch pedal. If I tell you that in order to get to it you had to jam the clutch pedal down and stand on your head in the drivers foot well it gives you an idea of where to look.

I think although a 2008 van, Ian's is based on an X244 not X250 (2006 onwards hence the difference in our diagrams etc
Or poss an Aussie hybrid of both models!

X244

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1379169091.686221.jpg

X250

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1379169113.065908.jpg

Looks like the top van so maybe Fiat sent all their old models to Aus with a 2007 build date. From your picture I would definitely say my van is a X244. It is very difficult to get any info on them over here. The dealer wont tell you anything just bring it in and we will fix it, a bit hard when they are nearly 1500ks away. Other than this problem the van is great!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Cris looks like my van is a X244 but like you I am still convinced that the air flow problem is quite likely a blocked pollen filter. As I said in my last post I have all the lower dash panels removed including the glove box and can find no sign of a pollen filter so if one is fitted it must be higher up behind the top part of the dash as rolopolo suggested, I am going to get the gas checked next time a mobile guy comes out to our station but even that seems strange as the compressor cuts in and the pipes get hot I suppose the AC problem could be a blocked TX valve or receiver dryer, I will keep you posted once I get to the bottom of it. Ian

Hi Ian,

I have the same model (244, Australia version).

There is no pollen filter. I have already dismantled all the parts where it is supposed to be. Completely different shape, the standard filter wouldn't even fit into the compartment below the windscreen where the air inlet is. It is a terrible mess in with the bulldust and no filter. I doubt there is a filter under the dash inside the air conditioning casing, but if there is one hidden I will know this soon!

Regarding the air flow: Was the air flow better before or did you just buy the van and expect something more powerful?

The air flow is really very poor, and it is indeed very noisy. I never owned a vehicle with such a poor noisy fan.

Try regas the aircon first, ours was leaking too, but after fixing this the regas really lasts for years. We don't use the aircon at all and run it only once a month to lubricate the system, but still very cold! The airon is really powerful if it works. The additional aircon fan in the engine compartment does not run all the time, this is normal.

On the start page of ePer you can enter your VIN to find out which vehicle you have and when it was built.

Kind regards,
Astragalus

jansamp if you ducato of 2007 is a new caste, the filter is tucked into the central compartment, open it as a schematic Remove the three sróby leave down and you have access to the filter, the only question you have ducato So I ask the new caste or adapter as photos above, but if you enter 2007 years it should be a longer new caste.
the open pit mask it is not only a filter mesh. Sorry for the spelling but says the translator does not write fluently in English and easiest way to insert a photo Ducat I have versions x251specyfikacja 2012 years but znaczonco no different than the older Versions Users is made a little lift in the cabin but in a car electrical system
fiat_ducato_1.jpg
you have one board
409k92_kabina.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Cris looks like my van is a X244 but like you I am still convinced that the air flow problem is quite likely a blocked pollen filter. As I said in my last post I have all the lower dash panels removed including the glove box and can find no sign of a pollen filter so if one is fitted it must be higher up behind the top part of the dash as rolopolo suggested, I am going to get the gas checked next time a mobile guy comes out to our station but even that seems strange as the compressor cuts in and the pipes get hot I suppose the AC problem could be a blocked TX valve or receiver dryer, I will keep you posted once I get to the bottom of it. Ian

Hi iansamp
The 244 models in Australia do not come with the pollen filter for some odd reason which is by the the way located under the cowling at the bottom of the windscreen passenger side. The plastic cowling has to be removed to gain access to where it would be located if one was fitted.
As stated by "Astragalus" the fan output is very poor & is noisey compared to most vehicles. If you say the compressor cuts in when the switch is pressed you will probably find that it also cuts out almost immediately as the condenser/radiator fans are not working.
If the A/C is gassed correctly & working normally the larger of the two A/C pipes (suction) will be cold & the smaller one will be hot but because the fans don't come on to allow air flow through the condenser to remove the heat from the system, the system then turns off the compressor clutch as it knows the fans are not running.
So the problem is that the condenser fans are not coming on when the A/C switch is pressed on. This is an electrical problem somewhere in the system if the A/C has the correct amount of R134a installed.
When our A/C was working normally, the compressor clutch is engaged & the fans come on, when it was disengaged the fans turn off. So the compressor clutch is only engaged when the fans are running as well - as the system knows if they are on or not. As I am having exactly the same problem I was wondering if you have fixed yours & if so what was the problem?
I have had the gas checked & everthing is OK as far as pressures go so it has something to do with the fans not working. I am about to do a closer investigation of the electrical side to try to find the problem will report back on my findings.
Hope that helps
cheers freespirit

Hello Freespirit I have not had time to get to a re-gas station so still not sure if gassing will fix my problem. I did get hold of someone at the Perth Fiat workshop who told me that the 244 model in Australia does not have a pollen filter and his opinion of the airflow through the vents was very poor even when new. I feel that my system is low on gas but I am not sure why the compressor continues to run and the fans are not working it may all become obvious once it is re-gassed which will hopefully be in the next couple of weeks

Back