General Abarth 500X

Currently reading:
General Abarth 500X

Seen this over on detailing world. Love the look of it.

Going to happen? Hopefully at Geneva:D

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1454016655.572744.jpg

Cheers,

If the Abarth 500X becomes a reality, I hope they'll use the 1.75l engine from the 4C and not just a tuned version of the 1.4 engine they already use.
Two versions would be good, a "base" version with 240BHP and an Esseesse version with 300BHP :D

The 2.4 from the top-spec US Renegade could make an interesting drop-in...

Well if the 500X Abarth actually makes daylight then I will have many fixed feelings.

We already have 140BHP and 170BHP 500Xs. These are Cross Overs and semi / not hot performance offerings.

In addition the 500X with all of the current offerings is a pretty good package AND aimed at those that want a good performance, ground clearance, fully or semi off road capability.

I'm really not sure what real marketing advantage and Abarth SUV will have. This market is already covered by the big other manufacturers in the £50K price bracket, like Porsche Cayenne, so for Fiat/FCA to try and hit this market is probably a very tall order and almost certainly going to fail unless there is a slow and continual product campaign and engineering excellence over the next 10 years.

Last edited:
This market is already covered by the big other manufacturers in the £50K price bracket, like Porsche Cayenne, so for Fiat/FCA to try and hit this market is probably a very tall order

:eek: :eek:

Reality-check time. There is no way the 500X is ever going to compete in that market, Abarth-fettled or not. Knock £20k off the price bracket and it will still struggle. And that's without taking any account of the decidedly mixed buying experience and the lousy after-sales service from most Fiat dealers.

Last edited:
Was at the FIAT dealership in Swindon the other day and was speaking to one of the car salesman who had an email from FIAT speculating the "very likely" possibility of a new Abarth 500X. I said instantly "it can't have the 1.4l turbo engine could it", and the salesman was pretty sure they will use it, I would assume it would struggle with the size of a 500X...

I can't see them using the 1.4 if they do produce an Abarth version.
The 1.4 is already used in the 500X in both 140 and 170 bhp version, so they would need a more powerfull engine for an Abarth version.

After seeing the stupid IMHO pricing for the Abarth 124, god only knows how they will price this one out of the market.

Fish

Back