General Abarth 500 purchase (for old F***) ?

Currently reading:
General Abarth 500 purchase (for old F***) ?

Graham GB

All of a sudden(thanks to new neighbours & their Abarth 595), I've started having irrational thoughts about buying an Abarth 595 at an age when I definitely know better :eek:.
We've (SWMBO & I) have had a 2012 Panda Twinair since new, it's a been a great car(with one or two exceptions) & we love it, it feels like we're driving a proper car & not an appliance :), over the last year or so we've started thinking about selling it to get our "last" car(we're oldish), so we've looked at a few & have always been relieved to get back in the Panda.
But, we've just had new neighbours move in & they have an Abarth 595 which looks & sounds beautiful to us & we're both a bit hooked on it, it's a completely unsuitable car for us, I no longer think i'm a racing driver & my wife never has, so we're old & slow & should be thinking of ending our driving days in a nice little Smart electric or similar, but i'm thinking of going & test driving a 595 a late used one(when I can find one locally) & what's even worse a Dual-Logic or whatever the Abarth auto is called.
Could you all please reply & talk me out of it, or at least talk some sense into me. :D
Cheers, Graham.

Go for it, it‘s never too late. As long as you get in and out without help, it‘s fine. You don‘t have to drive it like you used to, just keep calm and let it roll. Life‘s too short for bad wine, ugly women and boring cars ;-)

Graham, I was born in the 1950's and my wife in the 1960's , my toy is a 911 and hers is a red Abarth 500C! She loves it and enjoys showing the kids in Corsas a clean pair of heels. Oh it's a granny driving a Fiat 500 ............ wtf!!!
So my advice is GO FOR IT, we are only here once, enjoy it ��������

Sorry I would have to agree LIFE IS TOO SHORT. Seriously im doing what I want and having what I want. You are here for a good time not a long time. Dont overthink it. If it makes you happy do it. Do it now !

Definitely agree, go for it!

The buyer of my Alfa 156 GTA a few years ago was in his late 80s, he wanted to have one last really insane car before he had to give up driving for good; a lesson to us all :)

Well thanks guys, you've really helped me come to my senses & to stop thinking about an Abarth :)to the extent that we're now thinking about it even more :D.

Really don’t mean any offence, but how old is “older” I had a 500 Abarth, great car, really fun, when you get out of it in a car park, people stop to say “what a great car” lol, would advise not getting red it chips like crazy, plus when I tried to put my father on the insurance (which was group 29) had to have a phone interview with my insurance company only to be told no chance, they would not insurance him to drive the Abarth.

Plus unfortunately I keep a eye on the preregistration prices of the 500 Abarth’s and they have gone up 2-3k recently

Really don’t mean any offence, but how old is “older” I had a 500 Abarth, great car, really fun, when you get out of it in a car park, people stop to say “what a great car” lol, would advise not getting red it chips like crazy, plus when I tried to put my father on the insurance (which was group 29) had to have a phone interview with my insurance company only to be told no chance, they would not insurance him to drive the Abarth.

Plus unfortunately I keep a eye on the preregistration prices of the 500 Abarth’s and they have gone up 2-3k recently

Yes as age creeps on insurance once again becomes an issue(like when I was 21):), older is old mid 70's :(, but i still get insurance without a problem on my motor bikes, one of them's a big bike in insurance terms 1600cc, but you're correct i'll contact the insurance co. before i get any more excited, hopefully they'll put an end to this dreaming & drag me back to reality :)
I've been looking at the Abarth website & i'm quite surprised at the new prices, i thought they would be quite a bit more expensive than they are.
But i won't buy new unless it's a really good deal(like our Panda) but with current madness with car prices, i won't be expecting a good deal.
Cheers.

I think my dad was 78-80ish, well worth checking with your insurance, don’t forget if buying new the fiat affinity scheme will take £2500 of the new list price (everybody is able to get that) like campovolo grey myself, lack the nerve to buy a yellow one.

don’t forget if buying new the fiat affinity scheme will take £2500 of the new list price (everybody is able to get that)

I thought the affinity scheme was only open to key workers and their family, or am I missing something please???

I thought the affinity scheme was only open to key workers and their family, or am I missing something please???

Join the fiat motor club GB, costs £25, and you’re entitled to the affinity and I believe the privilege scheme, and from memory the British cycling club members are as well, not sure if that was 25 or 50 pounds to join.

Join the fiat motor club GB, costs £25, and you’re entitled to the affinity and I believe the privilege scheme, and from memory the British cycling club members are as well, not sure if that was 25 or 50 pounds to join.

Thanks for that, well worth knowing!!

I think my dad was 78-80ish, well worth checking with your insurance, don’t forget if buying new the fiat affinity scheme will take £2500 of the new list price (everybody is able to get that) like campovolo grey myself, lack the nerve to buy a yellow one.

Thanks for this, I seemed to be doomed to buy an Abarth, insurance is no problem, quotes are very reasonable :D

Go for it ! I was born in 1946 owned 83 cars from Astons, Bristols etc I went out last month and bought a 595 Anniverario 180 bhp, takes me back to my 911 days rock solid on the road & sharp acceleration. I also have a 1972 500 (now for sale) Forgot to mention my insurance costs me £214 per annum with breakdown cover.
D9B57193-3517-456B-91F2-08E5F44CCF85.jpeg
to compare how they have progressed in 50 years

Back