Off Topic Abarth 500 - Anyone Got One?

Currently reading:
Off Topic Abarth 500 - Anyone Got One?

Andysan

Sup all?

Nope, not posted in the wrong room - just curious as to whether any Bravo owners have ever owned/currently own an Abarth 500?

My long term plan to replace the Bravo (eventually, am quite happy with it currently) was to swap it for a Brera 2.4JTDM, however as aesthetically pleasing as this car is both inside and out, it isn't any quicker than my current 150 MJet Sport and seems to suffer from pretty crippling fuel economy. My 'Plan B' was to gravitate towards the 159, but at 24 years old this seems a little too mature for me.

Then I parked next to an Abarth 500 last weekend and was qutie taken with it (admittedly it had a spanking bodykit - I'm not usually a fan - but I digress). The most important factor with any car for me is the'feel good/specialness' factor, hence why I bought a Bravo and not a Golf, and it seems that the Abarth offers this with it's quirkyness, rabid exhaust note and pretty good performance for the economy that it returns.

Which brings me on to my next point - I commute 40 miles each way to work, about an hour and a half each way. Anyone care to comment on whether the novelty would wear off, or whether the car really is too small for my kind of daily drive please?

Cheers.

As you can still see from my old sig I had one and I enjoyed every minute of owning one. I would say it is slightly faster then a 150MJ, if the MJ is chipped the difference wouldn't be that great. The pickup on the 500 is better off the line but once you are up to 40-50mph I reckon the Bravo would start to catch.

Abarth is great fun around town and I miss driving it around London, the Monza exhaust got a lot of attention and sounded amazing going through tunnels and whatnot however its no where near as practical or well built as a Bravo. The first thing I noticed with the 500 was the amount of plastic everywhere etc.

It does feel like a special car and I would love to have another one in a year or so as a 2nd car just for fun but still keep the Bravo for the motorway journeys and family duties.

I managed to have my 500 Abarth for 8 months and only lost around £150 quid on it, hate to think how much the Bravo has gone down in value... one more plus for the Abarth.

Sup all?

Nope, not posted in the wrong room - just curious as to whether any Bravo owners have ever owned/currently own an Abarth 500?

My long term plan to replace the Bravo (eventually, am quite happy with it currently) was to swap it for a Brera 2.4JTDM, however as aesthetically pleasing as this car is both inside and out, it isn't any quicker than my current 150 MJet Sport and seems to suffer from pretty crippling fuel economy. My 'Plan B' was to gravitate towards the 159, but at 24 years old this seems a little too mature for me.

Then I parked next to an Abarth 500 last weekend and was qutie taken with it (admittedly it had a spanking bodykit - I'm not usually a fan - but I digress). The most important factor with any car for me is the'feel good/specialness' factor, hence why I bought a Bravo and not a Golf, and it seems that the Abarth offers this with it's quirkyness, rabid exhaust note and pretty good performance for the economy that it returns.

Which brings me on to my next point - I commute 40 miles each way to work, about an hour and a half each way. Anyone care to comment on whether the novelty would wear off, or whether the car really is too small for my kind of daily drive please?

Cheers.

i once had a 40 mile commute and when i started had a Brava 1242

soon i upgraded to an Alfa 156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon

i would not want to do that commute in a 500, much as i love them

Thanks for the replies guys.

Decided against it in the end - killer car but I spend most of my time sitting on the motorway not moving - need something a little less claustrophobic unfortunately. Appreciate your thoughts though.

Back