Technical aaugh! Second day of ownership and a weird noise?!

Currently reading:
Technical aaugh! Second day of ownership and a weird noise?!

22g

Hi All.

Just became a member and owner just few days ago, and already I'm asking for some help.
I bought a seicento 1.1 Mk1 (2001) and the next day it started to make a weird noise, a whine, a bit like metal grinding on metal. It seems to go away (or at least lessen) when I depress the clutch. The noise is also intermittent, especially when I take it back to the garage it seems to behave just like it should (of course). A friend said it could be the pressure plate, but I figured you guys might be somewhat more specialized in your knowledge about Sei's.
Thanks in advance. Hopefully my next posts will be on a happier note.

Last edited:
Difficult to diagnose from a description.

Does it happen when stationary, or only when driving.
If possible, with bonnet up, listen to see which end of the engine the noise is coming from.
At the front, possibilities are alternator, or cambelt tensioner. Tensioner most likely, and an easy cheap fix.
From the other end, it's be the clutch. They do seem to be weak on some, and such a noise suggests release bearing or centreplate. A bit more expensive, but not difficult.

Hey Nigel,

It only seems to happen when driving and I think (though not completely sure) the noise is coming from the passenger side - I am talking about a left-hand drive model.

Cheers mate

Last edited:
If a noise goes away when you press the clutch when you are stationary it normally points to a gearbox issue, as everything in the gearbox stops spinning when you press the pedal - lift it again and the primary shaft starts spinning again at engine speed
A worn thrust bearing will make more noise when you press the pedal
there's always a problem that comes up that breaks the rules so definitely check everything else though before condemning the gearbox as it's the most expensive option

Hi All.

Just became a member and owner just few days ago, and already I'm asking for some help.
I bought a seicento 1.1 Mk1 (2001) and the next day it started to make a weird noise, a whine, a bit like metal grinding on metal. It seems to go away (or at least lessen) when I depress the clutch. The noise is also intermittent, especially when I take it back to the garage it seems to behave just like it should (of course). A friend said it could be the pressure plate, but I figured you guys might be somewhat more specialized in your knowledge about Sei's.
Thanks in advance. Hopefully my next posts will be on a happier note.
Hi,

for a basic diagnosis, :idea:

find a gentle downhill slope ( I KNOW where you live / drive):D

drive down it gently @ 10 / 15 KMH, in 2nd gear, then again in 3rd gear.. does the noise sound different..?,
then do it again "CAREFULLY" with the vehicle placed out of gear ( clutch pedal UP) but engine idling..,
let us know what you find..(y)

if it still makes a similar noise out of gear with the engine idling.. then it's drivetrain related..,

Charlie

Passenger side, is the right hand side, nearer the front or timing end of the engine. Although noises can travel and appear in the wrong place.

Easy check is the brake discs and pads. Rust on the disc surface will give a scraping noise. Also check for small stones caught behind the disc.

Hey guys.

Many thanks for the replies. I think it is almost impossible that it's the brakepads, at least when on the lift I could not detect anything out of the ordinary there.
@ Charlie. Thanks for the tip, I'll see what that kind of noise that generates (regrettably at the moment the sei seems to be on its good behavior ;) so it'll have to wait)
Metalguru3. The noise seems much worse when moving and in gear, although I'm not completely sure it's gone in its entirety when stationary, or just very faint (maybe because I expect it to be there?)

I wouldn't completely rule out breaks unless you have specifically checked your discs and pads recently.
I had an annoying whine which would come and go and didn't really seem to make any sense, didn't change with speed or braking etc. Turned out to be a brake pad which had split from its backing and was occasionally rubbing on the disc when not wanted. Cheap and simple fix though :)

Back