General A slow starter

Currently reading:
General A slow starter

Tony M

eh?
Hello all, thought i would throw this out there... recently had aproblem with the starter motor, thought it was dead but as i was checking it over tonight in preparation for the wife's return I tinkered...

ok the car turns over about 4 seconds after the key is twisted... it just seems to wait and then start...

I am thinking this has got something to do with low charge in the battery and the capacitor working like a camera flash to build up the charge needed. that's my theory, let me know if it sounds barmy.

cheers

Alan.D said:
Sounds to me more like a dodgy solinoid as there is no capacitors as far as I am aware in the starter motor.
ok, well i have bought a new starter motor of some fella and fingers crossed it's arriving in a couple of days. So i can double check it then.

cheers for the feedback Alan... for that I think you can have a free panda shaped airfreshner that i bought at the 100yen shop

Tony M said:
ok, well i have bought a new starter motor of some fella and fingers crossed it's arriving in a couple of days. So i can double check it then.

is it a starter motor made for a selecta, because only one type of starter (hitachi) will fit the selecta.

christopher watson said:
is it a starter motor made for a selecta, because only one type of starter (hitachi) will fit the selecta.
yes it has arrived and i checked out the one mounted already... and in the dark it near impossible to evaluate what needs to be done... but I had no problem starting the one already on today :)... I will give the connections some tlc at the weekend and see how that improves things.

Hello Tony.
Mine is doing the same thing on an intermittent basis. Please let me know if you track down the cause.
Thanks and Rgds.

nuovapanda said:
had problems with mine, found it to be a bad connection from the ignition feed wire, its the thin red one on my car. it gave all the symptoms of a knackered solenoid too.
You know i think you might have something there... since i rummaged around in the dark it hasn't missed a beat, I had disconnect the red wire to see how much of a pig it would be later on... then plugged it back on, since then it's started first time every time. so i am going back in tomorrow with the copper grease and doing the connections.

however i will keep the starter motor in the back of the car just incase we have to call the recovery people again... easy enough for them to fit it roadside if the wife breaks down :) (in the car)... (car breaks down when the wife is driving)

Problem seems to be the connection on that red wire, it's poo. if it doesn't start... push the wire towards the solinoid and wiggle the angle a little and it should then start...

classic car tip number #2005332

Back