A better dashboard?

Currently reading:
A better dashboard?

I have had the exact same ELM unit connected to the OBDII port in my 500 for 6 months, the power draw is so low you never need to unplug it (Ok if you are going away for a couple of weeks may be wise to), but not necessary

I left my car at the airport with it still plugged in for 2 weeks and it started no problem when I got back, so in normal use I cant see the need for a switch,

The Torque software is very good and for as its only a couple of quid its a real bargain.

I have a 7" Nexus tablet on the dashboard as a display which is great for speed and all the other displays.

main.jpg

GPS.jpg

eco.jpg

Last edited:
Been looking round the web & seen a few pics of the OBD port showing a permanently live pin & the one below it being ignition live.

Not sure what's inside these little bluetooth thingies but can it be that difficult to somehow disable the connection to the always live & re-route it to the ignition live?
Failling that, a short extension lead could surely be rewired so the unit only takes power from ignition live?

I have a 7" Nexus tablet on the dashboard as a display which is great for speed and all the other displays.

So, the tech has been around for a while now. I notice Garmin are even doing a satnav which connects to the OBD.

Can't help wondering why manufacturers aren't making use of this tech & giving us a dashboard we can actually see, make use of, move around to a convenient location...
The tablet would also take on the role of the ICE, just hook the tab up to speakers, load all your MP3s & away you go.
Add the capacity to plug in a couple of small cameras & you have your dashcams sorted as well.
The unit could not only record camera footage, but also log everything the car is doing from the OBD port.

As an extra thought, if the tablet was put in a decent dock, it could also act as security - do away with car keys (aside from an emergency key).
The car can only be locked if the tablet is removed & outside the car.
Turn on the tablet, enter pin/password, dock the tablet & only then can the car be started?
Perhaps you could also have a mains docking station whereby the tablet could be synced with your PC (download info from cameras & OBD to a hard drive then clear out the memory ready for the next journey?).
For the trip to town, where you wouldn't want to carry the tablet around, another setting could transfer security to a key fob, whilst the tablet is folded down into a custom 'glove box'.

And the next step could be, do away with pedals & steering wheel. Replace all this with a games controller.
Both my lads thought they would be expert drivers long before they sat behind a wheel - they were just brilliant with all the driving sim games.
The car industry would save a fortune as every car ever produced could be driven from the left or the right seat:D

Yes, I have seen this on another forum, apparently it works fine although some cars then throw up errors

How strange, I thought the OBD port was output only, delivering info from the car's computer rather than sending info to it?
I wonder if the problem was caused more by the car not liking some cheap chinese carp plugged into it? I have read some stories about these things being hit and miss, you get some good brands & some carp ones. Amongst the carp, your car may be OK with it or it may not.

Still, if the only thing you are destroying is 1 connection on a short extension lead, might be worth a go. If the thing works without the extension lead & throws up problems with, you know where the fault lies.

I found a HUD app & have tried using my phone for this - really pale during , the day, obviously far better at night - although still hard to see with oncoming lights and brake lights (especially the eye-level).
I also found it really strange having to adjust my focus - I'm looking some six car lengths ahead - then a few feet at the screen, although, with practice, I found I could keep half an eye on the numbers (corner of the eye stuff).
I suppose, in much the same way as you look at the dials, but at least a set of big numbers is far easier to follow.
For me, the only downside of using GPS is the 3mph difference, 30 on the dial is 27 on the phone.

Youngest obviously took an interest as he bought me the £13 bluetooth thingy for my B/day.
We werre on hols when it came - so he tested it on his car. Downloaded the app & noted a few codes - which he then cleared, ragged his car round some local chav spot & was quite impressed.

Had it on my car for just over a week. Like the digital speedo (it's the only display I have set up!) but have to say that 28 on the phone is 30 on the dash & 33 on my satnav !

Not been out of town to see if there's a difference at higher speeds.

Back