Technical 96 Bravo 1.8 HLX - loss of power, cuts out, bad idle etc

Currently reading:
Technical 96 Bravo 1.8 HLX - loss of power, cuts out, bad idle etc

davethemonk

So I've just bought a 2nd hand 1996 Fiat Bravo 1.8 HLX and the fuel gauge was broken. It worked in the sense that it went up/down but was set to wrong position so I was calculating/guessing how much I had left .

Last night the car drive fine to training however, on the return journey home it cut out as I've ran out of petrol which wasn't a surprise given the above problem.

Filled it up with 4 litres of petrol and the car started again.

However, 30 seconds later the engine slowly died, juddered then cut out completely . I.e the same as when it cut out when driving.

Tried getting it to station but lasts a minute or so then does the same.

Mate had a look and suggested it was a blockage in the catalytic converter which was quite hot .

Sounds feasible I guess.

Reading online I've heard other theories, blocked
Fuel pipes, fuel pipe getting hot etc but I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue or if anyone had
Any other suggestions that might point to a simpler
Problem than a cat converter?

Cheers

Low fuel pressure?
Soot in tank went into the fuelfilter?
It is infront of right rearwheel under/above the plastic cover.

Cat is supposed to get hot (not red) and if it was blocked it should be pretty obvious from the sound.

For the fuelgauge, it might be the instrument cluster.
Fiatboo has guide for fixing that. Might be sender unit... hard to say.

Welcome to the forum Dave.

I would say since the car started going wrong after you ran out of petrol and because the fuel gauge has problems your issue is something to do with the fuel system.

First try something simple clean the electrical contacts on the fuel pump, it might fix the gauge problem too. If you lift up the boot carpet there is a triangular plastic cover with three screws holding it on, take it off and you can see the pump. Unplug the connector and use some electrical contact cleaner on the pins.

The Bravos fuel filter should be replaced once a year it is found under the car in front of the rear wheel on the drivers side hidden under a plastic cover you can see a example in my picture attached.

I think changing the fuel filter and getting some good fuel in the tank would be best to try first. Then perhaps next removing the fuel pump and looking at the gauze/mesh type filter on the end of the fuel pump motor I have seen these blocked before but cant find a picture again.

You could check the fuel pump relay by swapping it with another the same and try pushing the fuel cut-off reset switch under the passenger seat or in the passenger foot well depending on the year of your car.

Attachments

• IMG109.jpg
    IMG109.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 28
  • fuelfilter3.jpg
    fuelfilter3.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 25
  • fuelfilter2.jpg
    fuelfilter2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 27
Back