Technical 850 Ignition Switch Replacement

Currently reading:
Technical 850 Ignition Switch Replacement

mjgarey

Hello. I recently purchased a 1972 850 Spider. The sport needs plenty of work. First item is replacement of ignition switch. How do I get the replacement switch (key & cylinder) out of the column? I read someplace there is a 3mm pin that needs to be pushed out, but I can't find it. What is the deep bolt and how does that work to detach the key switch from the column? I don't want to swap columns, just the key & switch cylinder. Pictures are from the replacement column I found in the spare parts box the seller gave me.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 42
Hello. I recently purchased a 1972 850 Spider. The sport needs plenty of work. First item is replacement of ignition switch. How do I get the replacement switch (key & cylinder) out of the column? I read someplace there is a 3mm pin that needs to be pushed out, but I can't find it. What is the deep bolt and how does that work to detach the key switch from the column? I don't want to swap columns, just the key & switch cylinder. Pictures are from the replacement column I found in the spare parts box the seller gave me.
Others may give more exact advise, but looking at the pics the switch is similar to the old Lada 1200s etc. There is a spring loaded pin that if pushed and the key is in the right position will allow release of the whole barrel assembly, it does need the key to do that though.
So if you push a small screwdriver or similar in the hole at the same time as turning the key you should find a release position where the screwdriver or drill bit etc . pushes in a bit further and the barrel should come free.
I am guessing it is the hole on the third pic.
We used to have to change the ignition switch part of the lock sometimes even brand new in the showroom if ignition had been left on as the contacts used to burn out. Though that part only needed a screwdriver to flick the spring clip out (disconnect battery first as the clip could short the contacts);)

Last edited:
Others may give more exact advise, but looking at the pics the switch is similar to the old Lada 1200s etc. There is a spring loaded pin that if pushed and the key is in the right position will allow release of the whole barrel assembly, it does need the key to do that though.
So if you push a small screwdriver or similar in the hole at the same time as turning the key you should find a release position where the screwdriver or drill bit etc . pushes in a bit further and the barrel should come free.
I am guessing it is the hole on the third pic.
We used to have to change the ignition switch part of the lock sometimes even brand new in the showroom if ignition had been left on as the contacts used to burn out. Though that part only needed a screwdriver to flick the spring clip out (disconnect battery first as the clip could short the contacts);)
Thank you. Yes, turning the key was the trick and the key cylinder slide out! Thx!

Back