General 750 engine - timing - pinking

Currently reading:
General 750 engine - timing - pinking

Anyway , i've enjoyed reading about 'the black arts' of carbs and points .makes more sense on here than when i try to work through haynes or porter manuals.

I'm not 100% but I think the timing for the 750 is slightly different to the 999 FIRE engine, I cant check at the moment because the book is in the bedroom and the wife is asleep, but I will check when I can.

By the way I changed the distributor and coil on a panda 750 once for one off an uno, with electronic ignition worked a treat. (y)

oh i miss points and timing thats all a used to do when i started in the motor trade but now its all map sensors and ecu's
check the vac unit by sucking on it with the engine running if the revs increase slightly its ok they do split and sometimes the rod inside breaks too.
to set the timing you really need a timing light (i have one for sale on ebay by the way silverpanda4x4 is my user name plug plug)
let the engine warm up to operating temp.
remove vac pipe from car and plug the end a stuby screwdriver is great.
start the engine and set the revs to 850 rpm easiest way is to adjust the idle screw.
then using the timing light (did i mention i had one on ebay?) align the marks on the flywheel at 2 degrees you dont have to move the dizzy far be gentle TDC is the big mark on the left 2degres is the next small mark (i think its been a while!)
when set re connect the vac pipe and rest the tick over to 850rpm.
you can adjust the points with the engin running there is a small hole on the side of the dizzy to put a allen key in but put some tape round the shaft as if it touches the dizzy body it will short the points out. you can guess the setting by turning it untill it sounds "best" but to do the job right you need a dwell meter.

Thanks for replies! The vacuum advance seems fine, I have tested that, the points are new and made a massive difference, I was really surprised - the pinking has completely gone and the engine is much smoother and happier at all speeds. As I said earlier, the only niggle now is a slightly lumpy idle which I can't change no matter what I adjust. Maybe it's crap in a carb jet. It's not a big problem and doesn't cause me any grief, just a minor irritation :cool:

OK according to the Haynes book the timing is the same for 750cc and 999cc 2 degrees BTDC at idle with vac disconnected 14-16 degrees at idle with the vac connected, but according to the Porters book its the same as the 903cc 5 degrees BTDC at idle with the vac disconnected, so take your pic:confused:

Oh well, me little kit car's on Ebay now #140170835422, who knows what the next set of wheels will be? Maybe only 2! Not sure yet, still miss my Parade...never thought I'd say that when I bought it! :eek:

Back