500 (Classic) 69 Fiat 500

Currently reading:
500 (Classic) 69 Fiat 500

F30Msport

First post - So today I should be picking up our "new" 1969 500L. Looks to be in very good condition, but has been in storage for many years.

Right off the bat, I am trying to understand the tires date codes on the Continental Contact 125/12 tires.

Can anyone decipher these? It's not typical DOT code numbers, even before 2000.

Also - never had a car with tube tires before. how hard is it to change these? Should I look for a specialty shop? Can I do it at home?

Thanks!

Attachments

• tire 1.jpg
    tire 1.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Tire 2.jpg
    Tire 2.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Welcome! I see you made it over from BaT! You got a great deal on that car.
I don’t have an answer for you regarding the age but you may have more luck posting in the 500 classic forum

I don't think any of those are date codes, more like mould or batch numbers. Date code is usually just 4 digits, often on one side of the tyre only, so maybe inside. Some manufacturers favour the inside sidewall, then it is not obvious when the stock is old.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

What a great find!

I wouldn't stress overly about the manufacturing date of the tyres; folks with classic cars tend to run them for much longer, chronologically speaking, than you might choose to on a daily driver. Be guided by their condition, and replace them if there are any obvious cracks or other age related faults.

By the way, this thread properly belongs in the 500 (classic) section, so I've re-tagged it.

Last edited:
Back