General 60s and 18" of flood water! :)

Currently reading:
General 60s and 18" of flood water! :)

the mk1 kid

About 18 months ago myself and a friend went flood hunting in an uno 60s purely for ****s and giggles.

We made a few vague attempts to water proof some of the electrics with bin liners and we bent the air intake pipe back towards the bulkhead.

The uno successfully went through an 18" deep flood 10 or so times, stalling only twice (out of the water) and all that was required to do in order to start it was a quick wipe of the dizzy cap with my jumper!

When in the water and moving at 5mph the water was deep enough to roll up and over the bonnet, it looked mental with the head lights shining away still while submerged!

The car had 4-6" of water inside the car and un intentionally when braking it would splash the inside of the windscreen! lol

It never did quite smell the same and was scrapped about a month later! (this was kinda the plan anyway for a variety of reasons)

Anyone else have any stories?

Tom

Theyv'e built a section of motorway near me that runs through the old resevoir, i knew there would be probs, 60million and it floods and wont drain and now needs redoing, i hit a puddle at 60 and nearly cracked the central reservation, it was like skimming a stone over a lake he he!!!

*lol* Trust me, every Maltese chap who drives through Valley Rd. in B'kara has been in that same situation!

hello there! here in a tropical country like the P.I., torrential rains and flashfloods do come hard. I never new that last september's typhoon took out the amphibious talent of my UNO 45. I was driving with muddy water up to waist (sitting of course) and the UNO just kept on going till the front wheels are already loosing traction as rushing water just keeps on trying to lift the car up! surfing in flood! visibility was so very poor as wind and blinding rain was just to much for my wiper to handle. i had manage to stop and bring the car to a safer side where the current would not sweep the car like our neighbors'. at first i was not able to get out since water was keeping the doors shut so i just slid up out the window leaving my poor UNO submerged dashboard deep. it took four lonely hours before the floods subside leaving hundreds of drowned cars. there was mud everywhere! the interior was covered with 5 inches of mud, the rad had it share of murky water too, ah of course the carb and the cute F.I.R.E engine having oil and mud mix up, the gas tank was also pretty filled up, mud was just everywhere! collateral damage: newly installed clarion MP3 head unit...my PDA arghhh...consolation: the unsophisticated UNO was up and running a week after leaving electronically managed cars in shame!

Back