General 500X newbie question

Currently reading:
General 500X newbie question

Frank Bullitt

Morning all,

I used to be a member years ago when I had my Mk2 Punto JTD ELX (which was preceded by a Mk1 60S) which I sold in 2005 for an Audi A2, which I still own to this day (had to join as a new member as I cannot even remember my username!)

The time has come to buy a replacement for our family DS4 and the 500X fits the bill. We will be buying used, as the first 6 months depreciation makes them incredible value, probably a 1.4 Cross Plus but buying used means we might have to compromise on specification. Ideally I'd like the auto lights and wipers with auto dip mirror but apart from the Open Editions I've not seen this on any car but more importantly I need a centre rear headrest which is utterly bizarrely an option - has anyone any idea if these can be retro-fitted into cars without them?

Any advice greatly received

Can't help with Auto Lights / Auto Mirror / Wipers other than to say that retro fitting this to a new vehicle would be *very* expensive unless you can find an insurance write off. Even then a lot will depend on the wiring looms.

Regarding the rear centre head rest then I have just checked my 500X and sadly the rear seat back does not the any blanked off mounting holes for a centre head rest. Als if I press hard I can't feel and evidence of suitable support structure beneath the lining. Could be there but am not prepared to remove seat cover to check :)

You could get a new seat back and headrest as spares but I think this too will not be a cheap option.

Thanks for checking, I do appreciate it - I had no doubt retro fitting the visibility pack was a non-starter but it sounds a pain that you can't put a centre headrest in; I think the only cars which have it fitted as standard are the open edition cross models, have to keep my eye out for a rare model fitted with the comfort plus pack option and can't be choosy on colour!

You can do the mirror. AliExpress have aftermarket options that will fit.
Death for dimming car mirror and that will give you plenty of options.
They require power and most also have an AV option for an aftermarket reverse camera.

The auto headlight option isn't 'that difficult' however at present there is no switch and sensor available. There will be aftermarket kits at some point and I bet it would be more for the Renegade, however I have not seen inside one to compare switches.

... but more importantly I need a centre rear headrest which is utterly bizarrely an option - has anyone any idea if these can be retro-fitted into cars without them?

Any advice greatly received

Just checked my 2016 500X 1.4L Lounge and it has a centre rear headrest. I got the leather/electric seats as an option .. maybe the rear centre headrest comes with that package?

Yes, it's included with the electrically adjustable seats pack.

It does seem to be a little odd that even the Lounge and Cross Plus specs have the visibility pack and comfort plus pack as options.

Back